Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So.IdahoMap2.gif I don't know what all was discussed at Tags for the Glenns Ferry Mud Bogs but knowing how things have gone down before I can make some educated guesses. With that in mind here are my thoughts on keeping races going in that area.

Mountain Home has always had a good turn out of racers, most of whom were from the Mountain Home area. Thanks to the BIG efforts of a few people there we had a few years of good, organized and safe fun...even after the support from Wild West 4x4 club was removed. Now that the event needs to be moved down the road a few miles the races need support from the racers once again. It sounds like Tag has offered the space, equipment and insurance backing. It also sounded like Glenns Ferry would also support the races. All that is needed now is the help of some people to put it together. Those of us over in the Boise area will continue to help and support where we can but distance prohibits us from putting in much more than help and support on race day. The local racers there need to step up. Waiting for someone elce to do it for you will have you waiting a very long time.

It also sounded like there was an opportunity to put together a SPORTS COMPLEX that could be the venue for a variety of activities (mud, moto cross, rock crawling, tough truck, etc.). All within a 30 minute or less drive from Mountain Home. I don't understand why you guys over there aren't all over this :what: . If Weiser pans out then things could get really exciting.

I am attaching a map of the area to see the relative distance we are talking about. I live in Middleton.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Darrell I understand your point. I would be completely willing to do all this but I can not. As most of you understand I make my real living by going to lovely desert retreats. So far my tenative schedule right now is
May-Sep 06 Iraq
May-Sep 07 Afganistan
And i will probably add two or more trips in there somewhere. I am pretty much an on call guy Twice last year I got a call and one week later I was gone. I cannot honestly spearhead this when I know there is a great chance I could leave the next week.
The other issue is money. Each race has to make at least 1000 to pay for just the minimum expenses. Can we get that?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lehi, I wasn't directing this at you. I fully understand your "other life" and I am proud to know so many of you over there that do what you do. As I said, there have been a few of you (Chris, Alicia (sp?), and so many others) that have been there for us.

Mountain Home is full of 4x4 racers and sportspeople. It has a fairly well organized 4x4 club that has stepped up to the plate before and I understand why ,as a club, they have backed out in the past. This just isn't a "town" thing.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The money thing...That's always the question. I understand that Tag makes his living doing this and he can't loose in the long run. Let's see, Gate fees were $5 a head. That means he needs 200 gate paying people to break even. That COULD include the racers and crews (40 rigs average, one or two pit crew= 80 to 120 gate paying people. That means 80 to 120 spectators are needed if no other means of income is brought in. BUT as I have been saying for a long, long time: SPONSORS!!!!! How hard would it really be to get sponsors/city to suppliment the activities to get the race crowd to come to town?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the lack of response on here, I guess I can assume that there is no interest from the folks in Mountain Home to pursue this. Too bad. It was fun while it lasted.:(

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the link to the Question I posted on Wild West's site about some kind of an update:
http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3540

I talked with Robbin (of the famous Tag & Robbin team) and she pretty much ruled out anything happening in Glenns Ferry unless folks step up over there and put some money and horsepower behind making it happen. As for their involvement with Mountain Home's Optimist Park she said that the City up'd their requirement for White Knuckle Racing to put on motorized events by 200%. That put it at a $2,000,000 policy! I guess that's where the $1000 per night gate-take comes into play. It takes that much to just break even. How all that affects Glenns Ferry and their requirements I don't know, other than Robin is very concerned that they could draw the spectator crowd.
What MH had going for it was being able to run the Moto-Cross the same night which helped subsidize the Mud races. They can't run the bike races on the same date in Glenns Ferry because the tracks would be located on the same spot of ground.
Robbin also said that Tag has an article in todays paper explaining his views and position on Optimist Park and the infamous councilman who is behind closing down all motorized events in Mountain Home. If someone can copy the article on here that would be great.
If Chris and Olaf are successful in getting Marathon on our side there is still the issue of insurance costs and relocating the tracks, lights, etc., at Optimist....basically starting over from scratch
Robbin also said she was interested in working with Weiser to be involved with events there! :thumb:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Here it is, hot off the press:

Tag Hawk says he’s pulling out

In a letter affressed to mayor Joe B. McNeal and the Mountain Home City Council this week, White Knuckle Racing owner and operator Tag Hawks notified council members that he is terminating all business relations with the City of Mountain Home.
Hawks cited personal problems with Council Member mark Russell and the handling of Optimist Park as the main reasons for the termination.
“It’s a shame that the selfishness of one vindictive individual can ruin things for so many others,” Hawks wrote.
He finished by writing,”I look forward to workning with the city again some day when all the decision makers are capable of working in cooperation with others for the benefit of all.
As of press time, city hall had not received a copy of the letter and Mayor McNeal had no comment regarding it.

There's more in an editorial. I'll post it later toinght. Gonna try to scan it in, typing's for the birds.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
I wish I could help to support the Mud Races and put them on, but alas my current schedule of responsibilities would prohibit me from taking them on. But, I can help by supporting, accomplishing small tasks, teching and registering trucks, etc.

I have already pledged my support to Weiser to help them out any way I can too.

I hope we can somehow convince Marathon that it is their best interest also to let the activities at the park continue.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 8 of 8 Posts