Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may know, I (Steve Carroll) used to work at Snake River Truck.

This is what happened, on Friday 1-27-06, I went and told my boss, (Dennis Huntting (Owner)) that the following friday was going to be my last day... He told me to "just make it today" (the day I told him I was quitting). So I went downstairs and clocked out, left my time card on the counter and went home.

Three weeks later I recieve my final paycheck, well kinda...

Its a piece of paper as possibly a photo copy, or computer printout of check and check stub showing check amount...(not original check and check stub!) I worked a total of 34:54 hours at $12.00 per hour.

My check is in the amount of ZERO!!!

In the list of taxes and withholdings there is an

"Adjustments to Net Pay"
"Damage Recovery -300.43"

The $300.43 was the exact amount my check should have been!

So all in all they came up with some excuse as to not pay me my final wages...

Sorry just had to vent and let everyone know the type owner that Snake River Truck has!!!!!!:lame:

P.S. I will call him tomorrow and let everyone know what B.S. he feeds me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Id say let the labor board take a look at this one!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'd be willing to bet what he did is illegal.

·
Registered
137 Posts
is that why there is a listing on their billboard for "help" wanted...

anre'nt they they ones that are offereing the "chip" for your truck to try our for the weekend???

wonder if there are any takers?

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Steve,
Just so you know that is illegal. If you give him notice that your quitting in say 2 weeks and he tells you to get the hell out then he has to pay you for those two weeks even if you don't work them. Call the Department of labor and report him. It might be easier to go down to their office it is on 5th and Main.

WAGE PAYMENT LAW

Idaho Code sections 45-606 through 45-617:

1. Upon layoff or termination by either the employer or the employee, all wages due must be paid to the employee the earlier of the next regularly scheduled payday or within ten (10) days of termination, weekends and holidays excluded. If the employee makes a written request for earlier payment of his wages, all wages then due must be paid within forty-eight (48) hours, excluding weekends and holidays. Idaho Code §45-606.

2. Unless exempt from the minimum wage requirements of Idaho's Minimum Wage Law, employees who are not being paid on an hourly or salary basis must be paid at least the applicable minimum wage for all hours worked in the pay period immediately preceding layoff or termination from employment. The minimum wage payment shall be made within the same time limitations provided for in Idaho Code §45-606.

3. If an employer fails to pay all wages due as required by law, that employer may be subject to penalties in the amount of wages equal to the employee's regular wage rate, as if he rendered service in the manner as last employed, for every day that the employer is in default up to fifteen (15) days, and a maximum of $750.00. Idaho Code §45-607.

6. No employer shall withhold or divert any portion of an employee's wages unless; a) the employer is required or empowered to do so by state or federal law; or b) the employer has written authorization from the employee for deductions for a lawful purpose. Idaho Code §45-609.

7. Employers shall furnish each employee with a written statement of deductions made from his or her wages for each pay period such deductions are made. Idaho Code §45-609.

9. Every employer shall notify their employees of any reduction in their rates of pay prior to the work being performed. Idaho Code §45-610.

10. When there is a dispute over the amount of wages due an employee, the employer shall pay the undisputed portion without condition. Idaho Code §45-611.

11. The acceptance by an employee of a check for wages when there is any restrictive endorsement written on the check shall not constitute a release with respect to the disputed amount. Idaho Code §45-611.

12. Claims for wages filed with the Idaho Department of Commerce & Labor are limited by the same dollar amount as the small claims department of the magistrate's division of the district court. Idaho Code §45-617.

13. No employer shall discharge an employee or in any manner retaliate against an employee for asserting their rights under the Wage Payment Act and Minimum Wage Law. Idaho Code §45-613.

14. It is a misdemeanor criminal offense for an employee to make a false claim for wages. Idaho Code §45-612.

Wage claim forms are available at your local Job Service office or the Wage and Hour Section of the Idaho Department of Commerce & Labor in Boise. If you have any questions regarding the wage payment law, feel free to call the Idaho Department of Commerce & Labor or the Job Service office nearest you.

Taken from this site http://cl.idaho.gov/Portal/ICL/alias__jobservice/tabID__4523/DesktopDefault.aspx

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info... So should I give him a chance to explain to me? Or should I go directly to the labor board after work on monday?

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it were me, I'd just go to the Labor Board. After an experience like yours, I'd be out for blood as long as I knew I was in the clear in the "Damage Recovery" department.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Go to the labor board. Even if he has some claim on you for damamges he would have to take that up separately (probably small claims court). I believe he has the right to fire you like he did but I think he also has to pay you right then. Idaho is a "right to work state" he can let you go for just about any reason except those that classify as discrimination. He cannot under any circumstances withhold any money you have worked for. Additionaly if that company happens to have an established paid holiday program you may be due that as well. (not sure on that)

·
Registered
374 Posts
wage and hour
they helped us out when my teenage daughter was wrongly let go and then her work kept giving the runaround on her final check.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wage and hour said...

Basically i can only get my wages owed to me,

Snake River Truck has to either provide written proof that I gave consent to have damages taken out of my check, or they have to provide me with my wages owed. Those are the only 2 options they have.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
sounds fair.....let us know when you collect!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
In missouri Alot of shops firer people like that. Then they dick them outta there last paycheck. So when my buddie got fired He got screwed outta almost 800 bucks. anyway that shop is closed now and he got his money and damages.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i owned Hathaway's T&S removal for eight years and when someone would tell me they were leaving i would let them go right then and would have to pay them for what ever they said i.e. two weeks notice got paid two weeks also it is way illeagle for him to hold money out the first thing you need to do is Type up a paper saying i request my final paycheck $$$$ amount you expect to be paid within 48 hours. have it notorized and HAND deliver it to him Labor board will tell you the same thing. then from there every day he dont pay you he will be assessed a fine from the labor board and you get all that money also....

good luck!

you can also Sue him in small claims court for the money you had not recieved i.e. late fees, food, rent, inconveniance to you and your family, all the things that money was saposed to go to plus late fees...

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
labor board said they would take care of everything, they called and left a message today, if there is not a timely response, within 2 weeks, they will be assessed fines and penalties in addition to my wages.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Thats good to hear, Steve.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for the info everyone!!! got my check today in the amount of the wages withheld, no penalties, but im happy with being a pain in his ass and getting my money in the end.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Grant Petersen's in MH tried to do something like that back in 97 to me. I kept very good records and sent them all into the Labor Dept. After is was all said and done, I got my check, and they got a big fine. Not only that, but then the Labor Dept started looking into all their files. There were other employees that got checks for what they were owed to.

You think they would just pay the employee and not deal with the fines.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 24 Posts