Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And let me know what you think of these patterns. This is the third try on the pinion depth. I've got the back lash at .001 and the tension seems pretty good. The pattern looks good to me but I would like a second opinion. This is on a Dana 60 with fresh 5.13 gears.

Thanks!

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
From what I remember that looks pretty good although you need to run the pattern on at least 2 place. I don't really know why but I was talking to Randy at Randys Ring and Pinion and he suggested very strongly I do this. I think mainly it is to make sure the carrier and ring gear are fine. Also from my own expirence (very costly) you need to find someway to measure the pinion bearing preload so you know you are within specs I have setup up over a dozen gearsets and the three that have failed I have traced back to improper pinion bearing preload.( I am not counting the one I used the wrong crush sleeve on) A tool I used that you may have the parts to make just attaches to the pinion yoke I made three different ones to use with a D44 a Dana 35 and a sami. If you have an old axleshaft or can get one you can also measure the carrier bearing preload. Get the splined end cut it off somewhat square weld a long peice to it and attach whatever measureing device you have at the end or it. Good luck Matt :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Looks like the pattern depth is good but maybe could go more toward the heel of the ring gear. I think its the heel. Can't remember for sure but from the first pic it looks more to the ID of the ring gear than the OD. Pretty good though.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure how I could center it back and forth. The reading that I have done says that if you get the depth about right, the only way to center it laterly is to machine the case or really mess around with all the shims.

Thoughts?

yeah, I agree with Kert....
BTW, I like the "pattern" on the carrier!
That was from the last bad install. :roll:

I will be replacing it maybe this summer.

I will do my own from here on out. I have wasted way too much time and money on people that are full of crap.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
the way to adjust that pattern so it moves "out" is add a shim to the pinion gear. probably one of the thinner ones should do it.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AJ Johnson said:
the way to adjust that pattern so it moves "out" is add a shim to the pinion gear. probably one of the thinner ones should do it.
Wouldnt adding a shim push it towards the center of the ring gear?

Just trying to visualize it....

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
yeah... you are trying to center the pattern in the center of the ring gear tooth, rather than have it slide off the end like it looks like it's doing... Eric is right tho, you need to do a pattern on the other side as well, and rotate it through a few times to get a definate reading.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I getcha.

I think I'm going to set the backlash looser to spec and then I'll run the pattern again and see where I'm at.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
223 Posts
FWIW...

Don't worry so much about the back lash right now. It won't effect the pinion depth which needs to be set first.

The pattern looks as though the pinion is too close (deep). You will need to press the bearing back off of the pinion gear and remove shims and replace it and try again until the pattern is more centered on the ring gear. It doesn't take much to move the pattern.

After you get the depth set you can work on the ring gear bearing preload and the backlash. 0.001 is too tight, off the top of my head I think you want like 0.018-0.020.

Can't walk through every step, but I think you got the basics.
Let me know, I would be glad to stop by and help.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you in town now?

I'm going to fool with it tonight some more.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was just there this weekend. Probably won't be back until next weekend. This commute sucks!
Probably too long to wait, maybe I can call tonight relay more details.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Remember you can't get a perfect pattern yukon should have sent you some assembly instructions that have the patterns with them if not they are available at Randys Ring and pinion. Rudezuk is right when you get it where you think it is good run it all the way around by the Matt back lash for a 60 should be .006-.010 if you run it to tight your gears will heat up to much if you run it to loose the ring gear will deflect under load. There are accapteable patterns that run it off the end of the tooth. The reason for this is the amount of movement and deflection that occurs in a differential. If you didn't get the paper from Yukon find it on the web so you can judge for yourself :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mainiac said:
I was just there this weekend. Probably won't be back until next weekend. This commute sucks!
Probably too long to wait, maybe I can call tonight relay more details.
I hope to have it done by then if not tonight. I'm real close as it is. Give me a call anyway. I could use some more education on it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
shit, he is right, I had it backwards... :oops: :oops: :oops:
I just looked at my randys paper I got with the last gear install, and basically... he's right, lol...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts