Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I'm rebuilding my cheby 454 and considering options for fuel injection. Not going too crazy with the buildup, just bumping up the compresion, stock heads, bigger cam, roller rockers, shooting for a reliable 400 horse. Sound feasable? Don't have alot experience rebuilding engines. As far as fuel injection, I've heard stock TBI won't flow enough to support that. True? How are the Holley Commander systems? The multi-port systems would be sweet but with a price tag over 2K, my wallet says no. Are they worth it? Any experts out there? Any personal experiences? BTW I'm going to get a new intake no matter which route cause the cast iron stocker is a pig. Thanks. :thumb:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
You can use the stocker up to a point. Talk to AJ, he's been messing with it lately.

I ran the Holley 2DI on my built 454 for a bit and it was fine. It just got weak at high RPM when mud racing. I ended up putting on the 4DI system and now it really goes.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
164 Posts
DO YOU KNOW HOW TOO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TH E ANALOG AND THE DIGITAL SYSTEM. I'VE GOT A 4D SYSTEM I'M GOING TO INSTALL BUT THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO FOR SENSORS. :banghead:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sandman, do you have the specs on your 454? Curious to know how much you've done to it and how much power the mods gave you. Is the 4DI a four injector throttle body?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I've never messed with a 4D system, so I cannot help you there.

The 4DI is a Throttle Body version. 900 CFM.

I'ts bored out and running about 9.5 compresion. Accell Ignition, Edelbrock intake, I cant remember the cam specs right off but the lists are .510 and .520. It pulls great and was built to mudrace. I plan an decamming it this summer as its way to big for chugging around. thinking around a 2689 or so area.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats a 2689? Is that a part number? Yea, I still get a kick out of the mud races. That was my motive for getting the big block a year ago. Yanked the 6.2 oil burner and dropped in a "recently rebuilt" 454. Well turns out it was slut rebuild cause it still has standard size pistons. At least its a good block. I would rather have a smooth running, responsive motor than a full on drag racer so I might not get carried away with the cam. Trying to build my rig all around for mud and rocks. :thumb:

·
Registered
26 Posts
FYI - I had a comp cam 268 in a healthy 512 cheby .......dyno'd 600hp & 700ft lbs. That was with a little huffer, but my point is you don't need a big cam to make power. This was in a dually 4x4 and got 13mpg as a DD.

Buzz

·
Registered
268 Posts
Definitely get rid of the stock intake. So far thats the only mod I've done to mine. I put a RPM on it and it made a huge difference, even with it running on 7 cyl. (didnt get a wire on good).

Next mods will probably be dual 3" exhaust and possibly a cam. I eventually want to stroke it out to a 496, maybe more. :deal:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guys. :thumb: I'm probly gonna order my engine parts tomarrow. I'll give a report down the road how it all turns out. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts