Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who's got 'em?

What should I look for when shopping for one?

I want to make some changes to the rear of my samurai, and I need a different tank. It does not need to be large (no more than 8 gallons, maybe as little as 5).

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I know those little 4 bangers sip gas, but 5-8 gallons sounds a bit small, no?

Summit or Jegs... or eBay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know those little 4 bangers sip gas, but 5-8 gallons sounds a bit small, no?

Summit or Jegs... or eBay.

It seems to sip gas...I fill up about every three trips as it sits now, and never put more than 8-10 gallons in at a time. If I wasn't trailering to the trailhead, I might need more.

To be more specific about my question, do I need to look for foam filled tanks, baffles, certain types of fittings, or will any old fuel cell work for crawling?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Most cells you come across are going to have AN fittings. I would look for a tank that has a vent with a built in rollover valve (which most will have). I don't really think it much matters what style you get.

Just an FYI. If you look at Summit they sell the Summit brand fuel cell which is the exact same as an RCI fuel cell, but it's packaged with a different part number on the box. Typically the Summit one is a little cheaper.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I am running the RCI 2161 in the back of my TJ. I Drove it daily like that for almost a year. The aluminum RCI cell has cracked the little tabs off of all the corners from wheeling. I ahve it suported with both straps, and rubber pads under it as well as bushing as bolts through the now broken off tabs...

I would try to get a bladder cell with a metal box around it if I was going to do it all again.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I run the Summit (or was it RCI? I don't remember which it is now) aluminum cell in the Dawg. It came with the foam in the tank. It's been in for many years and I put it through a lot. When I mounted it I used four poly shock mounts under each corner where the mounting bolts go through the corner tabs. I haven't had any problems with mine (even when it's been upside down :rotfl: ).

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
That is exactly how I mounted mine! Two swaybar endlink bushings one on top, and one on the bottom bolted through the tub....

I would think your rig would see just a tad more abuse them mine! :thumb:

It does look like the tabs on your cell are alot wider then the ones on mine.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info! :thumb:

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I run the Summit (or was it RCI? I don't remember which it is now) aluminum cell in the Dawg. It came with the foam in the tank. It's been in for many years and I put it through a lot. When I mounted it I used four poly shock mounts under each corner where the mounting bolts go through the corner tabs. I haven't had any problems with mine (even when it's been upside down :rotfl: ).
No wonder that thing wheely's. Fuel and 2 batteries in the back!!:thumb:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
:rotfl: Actually I figure there is ~140 pounds between the cell, 8 gallons of fuel and batteries and the weight is pretty much centered over the rear axel to give me more traction, which = less wheel spin. And yes you are right, sometimes too much traction can have interesting results :rotfl: .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts