Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you got rid of your front track bar? Does it really hinder articulation dramatically? Like, less than an inch or more than an inch? Someone told me without it it will pull you to the side when you break. True or not? What damage may occur without it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
you'll loose an axle or two...

No, a trac bar is a necessary piece of your suspension geometry. Keeps the axle in the location it needs to be...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand that, but I see alot of vehicles without it on the web. If it's so important, why do people take it off?

·
Registered
781 Posts
4x4ever said:
I understand that, but I see alot of vehicles without it on the web. If it's so important, why do people take it off?
What type of vehicle are you driving? I think we might be having a miscomunication in terminology, a track bar unless it is used with leaf springs, is an absolutley neccessary component in your suspension as it locates the axle side to side, one end is connected to the axle and the other end is conected to the frame.
A sway bar on the other hand, is connected to the frame in two places and the axle in two places, this controls body roll, and also limits articulation, while this may not be "neccesary" for the suspension to function, you will notice an increase in body roll at highway speeds, and even more so when making evasive sp? manuevers on the road, the sway bar is not nessecary on the trail, but highly reccomended for the street.
Hope this helps, thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, you're right. Details are important. It's an '84 4Runner, 3" suspension lift, 3" body lift, original steering set up with adjustable dropped drag link(cross over will be done this summer), OEM 4.88 gears, high pinion front diff, V6 Rear diff, etc, etc, etc,....
I see alot of people on the web without the front bar that goes from the driver's side front axle to the front crossmember. I understand it helps keep the front end aligned. If it is so important, why do people take it off?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
4x4ever said:
Ya, you're right. Details are important. It's an '84 4Runner, 3" suspension lift, 3" body lift, original steering set up with adjustable dropped drag link(cross over will be done this summer), OEM 4.88 gears, high pinion front diff, V6 Rear diff, etc, etc, etc,....
I see alot of people on the web without the front bar that goes from the driver's side front axle to the front crossmember. I understand it helps keep the front end aligned. If it is so important, why do people take it off?
With that being an 84 its a straight axle.

That bar you are talking about, does it go front to back? Or side to side?

If I remember right, it is front to back on your vehicle, that bar is to help control axle wrap. You can take it off......The only thing you need up there is leaf springs:thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, it's to control axle wrap. If I take it off, will I stress the J-arm even though I have the adjustable drop draglink?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took the track bar off of my truck and it workds great. The push/pull steering is scary, going to high steer was the best mod that I have done.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
That bar is there to control axle wrap. The problem with taking it off with the stock push, pull steering is that under heavy braking the axle will roll forward changing the steering geometry without ever moving the wheel. Therefore making the truck dive hard to the right. You can take it off, but it will take some getting used to driving it and knowing what the truck is going to do in emergency situations.

·
Registered
781 Posts
krazytoy said:
That bar is there to control axle wrap. The problem with taking it off with the stock push, pull steering is that under heavy braking the axle will roll forward changing the steering geometry without ever moving the wheel. Therefore making the truck dive hard to the right. You can take it off, but it will take some getting used to driving it and knowing what the truck is going to do in emergency situations.
I can vouch for this, you get used to it, but in an emergency situation, under hard braking the truck will pull pretty hard,.......I don't know for sure, but it would make sense to me that this condition would put added stress on the already wimpy for large tires "J" arm, as well as the drag link, if it's going to be awhile before you get the Xover steering you might want to leave it on there and only take it off when you go offroad, kind of a pain, but a much safer braking situation on the street :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So how much does it hinder flex?

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Ok- I took mine off, '82, 3" lift with stock steering. Never noticed drastic difference in the pulling under extreme braking. It did limit some articulatin however I can not tell you. I say ditch it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine already pulls to the right when braking hard. Yes the brakes are bled right, new calipers and discs. I guess it can't get much worse. Guess I'll just take it off and see how it reacts. I'm not concerned right now about axle wrap, new springs that are stiff and to be broken in. I'll see what happens.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Take it off, once you lift the truck it should have been lengthened anyway. I have been building Toy's for years and have always run with out it. You might notice some diving or pulling, but its a truck. You should really look into the cross over strearing. It is a far better set up. Shoot me any other questions that you have.
Good luck.

·
Registered
265 Posts
i never put the bar on when i sas my 86 pickup and just got used to it pulling to the right a little when braking. it never was never that big of a problem even when braking hard. i think more of my brake steering came from such soft front springs compressing out when braking causing the truck to pull right. pull it off and see how it behaves, if you dont like how it handles put it back in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My main concern now is the j arm. I don't want to put any added stress on it because it is a DD. I'll just leave it on until I can get the $$$ to buy a cross over setup. Motto is safety first anyway. Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts