Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so most of you have seen the carnage on both of the blazers from a little throttle, a couple whoops, and a whole lot of fun.

So now my question is, does anybody have some good pics of a weld on axle truss for a 10 bolt and 44?? I have searched all over the place, and I want a design that works good, is preferably over the top so I don't lose ground clearance, and that I can do myself (= cheaply!!). I already have a d60 for the front of my blaze, but that's for a project in my head that will be down the road aways. I have a bunch of 44 and 10 bolt parts, so I will keep on breaking them for a while!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hey Chris cant go over the top on the front -- no way to link the two tubes together with the leaf spring in the way .....
I do however have a couple of trusses new in the boxes for under the axle but that will limit your travels through the rocks -- mabey you should check out your local used parts yard a little more often :flipoff:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Have you asked John booth yet?? Or you could do it like my rear end is done..:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I used to run a truss on the front end of the Dawg that was simply a skid plate under the pumpkin with round bar attched to each side running to the ends of the tubes to a couple of bolt on clamp things. We modified a kit to fit the Dawg's Toyota front end. If I remember right it was originally for an early Bronko because it was shorter. I liked it because there was very little hanging down to catch mud. It was a bolt on item, easily removed.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Chris, I just got through reading an article in my new Jan '06 FOUR WHEELER. On page 82 is an article on "Jounce Shocks". Really interesting. May even help me with coming down too hard from a wheel stand. They make these things for newer GM trucks like my Dually Dawg but I bet the idea is easily adapted to other rigs like your Blazer.

Here is the link to the folks who make the Jounce Shocks:
http://www.lightracing.com/lightracingJounceIntro.html

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That company rocks! I looked at their products last year at SEMA, and this year too, it is really amazing how well their products enhance even stock suspension.

I like the idea, but the white blazer is a no money spare parts type rig. Now on my blazer, some progressive bumpstops might be in order....

I have some good ideas to start with on the truss, but I was looking for some others.

The bolt on truss I don't think would work well for what I put the blazers through...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Another good article:
http://www.coloradok5.com/moo12truss.shtml

A truss is installed on an axle housing to maintain rigidity of the housing and relieve the stress on internal parts such as axle and carrier bearings. Many people have different opinions on either over-the-top truss mounting or under-the-bottom style. The difference between the two is simple. Typically trusses which are installed over the top of an axle housing are loaded in compression (compression-mounted), and trusses which are installed under the axle housing are loaded in tension (tension-mounted)

Compression Mounted Truss vs. Tension Mounted Truss

Just weld a piece of sewer pipe up, over, and on your axle and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
well breaking the short side is highly unlikely so how about just welding some 3/8 plate along the long side tube and cut it to fit the diff perfect and weld it all up. you could do the top only. I did it to my old 44 that i poped the tubes loose in and it worked great. If you dont get it I can explain myself more

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Chris - Cheap is what I was thinking when I suggested the Skid Plate/Solid Bar set up. The idea is easily adaptable to anything and can be beefed up to any degree you want. It's basically like what "Trail Bus" showed but with a smaller cross section than pipe and weighs a lot less that some of the more extream examples suggested. It also has the plus of a skid plate. I went under because of the limited space between the front pumpkin and my oil pan. The front end moves up and to the rear when compressed.

I am currently running the poly progressive bump stops and, trust me, they hit hard and cause all kinds of things to happen (like pulling out steering arm bolts! See picture of my damage).

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
You know that this is worth at least 10 cool points :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts