Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to see if there's any interest in a night run this Friday, April 29th. Trail will be easily traversed by stock 4wd vehicles, barring any massive snow fall along the ridge. Approximate start time would be around 9 PM with a meeting area in the valley.

Basic requirements:
4wd vehicle
Tires with reasonable tread (possibly some snow drifts on trail)
Flashlight
Mountain Dew or other caffeinated beverage

Any interest?

-AJ
92 XJ

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'll be pullingmotors all weekend so I wouldn't be game this weekend but I sure would be next weekend

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
where is the trail, about how long will it be? I might be able to but I have work that night so it depends on what time I get off

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We're looking at Rocky Canyon up to the Boise Ridge Road west along the ridgeline to the 8th Street junction, barring snow. I get off work at 9:30 am tomorrow (short day) so the start time really isn't that much of an issue... Prefer to start prior to midnight :) Let me know...

Hit me up on MSN Messenger - [email protected]
Or email me directly - [email protected]

Depending upon the conditions and trail route, it could go anywhere from 2 hours to 6+... Shouldn't be that long considering its some very basic trails that hopefully shouldn't cause any damage to most stock 4wd vehicles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rocky Canyon/Shaw Mountain Road to Trail E junction at the summit is clear, however, lower 8th Street gate is still closed. The trip would go along the ridgeline towards Shafer Butte up until the point in which the road may or may not be unpassable. Once again, all depends on the amount of snow drifts/mud bogs on the trail in the higher elevations.

In a side note, the road to Deer Point is clear up to the upper gate, at which point its a huge mud bog because of run off (gate is OPEN). Road to Lower Deer Point is still blocked just above the second gate by snow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok looks like the initial trail is clear for the most part from Rocky Canyon west towards Shafer Butte from the junction at Aldape Summit. If blocked, backtrack to second Robbie Creek trail, down thru Rbbie Creek, up over the saddle and down across Grimes Creek meeting up with SH21 about 18 miles north of Boise.

***IMPORTANT***
If you plan on going tonight, please call me before 9PM - 208.440.6660... Depending upon how many respond will determine the actual departure time, meeting location, etc...

Below is an approximate trail map from Shaw Mountain/Rocky Canyon Rd north from Aldape Summit towards Deer Point with a possible look back down Robie Creek to Grimes Creek.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
no go for me, got to work tonight. Maybe next time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far TheDave (1x4wd) and hcgalvin (3x4wd) are committed to go with 2 maybes...

MEETING LOCATION:
Overland Walmart Parking Lot - I84 Exit 50
10 PM

Call 440-6660 if you're unable to locate us or CB channel 31

Thanks for everyone's participation!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The trail run was awesome tonight. Shame the snow kept us from going much farther. I seriously need a lift!

Thanks to Dave, Heather, Kevin, Nate and the random kids in the green XJ we found down town on the way up the hill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super old post revival :)

I had to google this post to find out where on earth I had posted this originally.

I sold my 92 XJ from this run in I believe 2008? Either way, saw it recently in front of the Home Depot in Nampa with the same fog lights on the bumper... Now it has a lift and looks much better :)

Anywho...

I brought home a 99 XJ during the week... Looking forward to trying to recreate this night run sometime in late April if anyone is game :)

The new XJ has 17s and street tires on it, looking forward to swapping to black 15 steelies and good off road tires tomorrow. Looks like a modest aka cheap 2" lift on it already, will likely stay in place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts