Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new project and after a practicality and use chat with my bank (wife) I/we are thinking about a fullsize P.U. ford or chevy 70-79 3/4 ton to 1 ton with a 4 speed with the low low first gear anyways was the best factory combination for 3/4 to 1 ton 4x4 trucks what year and what make???? I would like a dana 60 front and same or better in the rear it has to be straight axled, leafs, but basically a truck I can put fuel injection, lockers/lift and tires on and then go play ????
any opinions

I am thinking of a truck like twisted jacks but I know some of the fords had good axles from the factory
thanks

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
if your serious hold out for a 78/79 f-250 or the 350 with a HP 60 up front. Watch around on the net and you can score one for around 1k here in the west if your quick on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ask Nate (heavyhitter). He has a GM 1-ton. Didn't have to do much to have a fun & bullet-proof ride. 73-91 GM K30 is where it's at :thumb:

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the replies and I will be looking

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am serious mikey! I need to play but need something bigger than a zuk now that I have 3 boys they will be wanting to go too. I dont have anything that resembles a shop in my garage. I sold everything, welder etc. so whatever mods I will need to get done I will have to pay for and I am low budget so whatever I get will have to be complete other than mods
laters.,... whistle :beer:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Go wit a Chevy Jimbo. With your mechanical background I'm sure you can agree on the simplicity of the Chevy's as well as the parts availibility. Also, to accomodate the little ones, I'd recommend a Blazer/Jimmy for the roominess. Three kids and blankets fit perfect on that bench seat in the rear. Trust me I know... whistle Plus, room for all your gear in the back and it all stays dry! Then in the sunny season's the boys will love it when you take the top off. :mrgreen: I'm thinking '73 and up for the half top, but mid '80's if you want the fuel inject. :thumb: I just swapped my axles under my Blazer, piece-o-cake, raised the front another inch, and prolly gonna run 37's til I beef up the front. But the kids love it (when it's runnin whistle ). :thumb:
Good Luck!.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what axles did you swap??? 14 bolt 60's ??? I have been looking looking....you know how I am about a good deal....I like rock punks ride it looks like the ultimate blazer! cage included (no offense to anyone-else)
I had a few zuks ....now it's time for some heavymetal with 1 ton goodies under it
thanks jessie
hope all is well with you...long time no see Amigo! :thumb:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
what about dodge

not to change the subject too much.. whistle but what about dodge....!

old dodges are SO ugly that people will almost pay you to take it, they are simple, and axles are easy to find!

this is my own experience, but i have run lockers and 38's and 36's with out any trouble. ( I think that i am pretty hard on them)..

I scored my fuel injected ramcharger for $500. total i am in it about 1300!

so it can be done, i know cuz i am a cheap bastard!

GOOD LUCK BRO!!!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OOPS finally checked emails (lots of other poop going on) sorry...I have been slacking...

OK... Dodge..!
I have a friend with a dodge it is a 77 power wagon 360 with edelbrock goodies.. intake,aluminum heads, cam/springs. w/ headers and 6" lift stock axles and 35's he said he would sell it to me next january or so, after he had some fun with it.... like crusing the mall! ....but at the gas prices the way they are he prolly wont drive it more than 500 miles by then at 1/3rd throttle (old guy)

I like dodge...as I just bought a 2005 dodge 1500 4x4 quad cab but it's too pretty to wheel so I put 20's on it...he he it gets such crappy mileage I pawned it off to the wife and she gets 11mpg with it, with me I get down to the single digits (heavy foot and I like the sound of a flowmaster 40series at 6500rpm) also I bought a (commuter) 05 civic 2 door and I have recently gotten into club racing with it out at firebird..
it wont be too long before I get the dodge or I find someone flexible enough to sell me something else but I will have something around the end of feb 06 when I get my bonus check from work. thats the plan..

I will be back bigger and better than before! for me there seems to be no substitute for the rocks so I will keep my self distracted until I get in a better financial situation to go out and a new project that suits me
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
20 Posts
well If you were closer to PA we could probably help ya out seeing the bf has a backyard full of 4x4's various years & makes. Mostly 66-77 Ford Broncos couple of 78-79 ones too and various Ford Trucks, I think there is a Chevy or 2 down there also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts