Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for ideas on how to upgrade my disc brake setup on my Currie 9" axle. It has 35 spline 5 on 5 1/2 axles. It came with Ford Explorer disc brake calipers that just don't work very well. They are small and they are mounted on the rearward side of the axle, which exposes them to rock damage just about everytime I hit the extreme trails.

I am looking for ideas from some of you guys that might have run into this before and have found good solutions that aren't expensive.

What about a caliper bracket that mounts on the top side of the axle tube to keep it from getting hammered?
What kind of caliper would work? Something that would provide excellent stopping power and still fit inside of a 15" wheel.

Any input on this is greatly appreciated. Post up your ideas.

Thanks,

Kevin Mereness

Here is a picture of what I have now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The brakes themselves always worked good for me, I just carried spare caliper bolts in my toolbox for when I would damage them on the rocks. The disc brake setup on my (new to me) 14bolt is still just half ton chevy parts with a custom caliper mount.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really not sure if they are working good or not. It seems like all my braking power is happening in the front. They seem kind of small to me.

I found some good posts on Pirate and some others about using GM Calipers along with some aftermarket weld-on caliper brackets and Jeep rotors. That would probably work really well and wouldn't cost much at all. I am not sure if they would technically provide better braking or not though.

It would definitely allow me to mount the caliper up higher than it is now.

Anybody used this combination?
What kind of results have you seen?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Our CJ-7 has the TSM conversion on the 9". 9" Ford Rear Disc Brakes

We bought the jeep with this conversion on it. The jeep stops great (with hydroboost) and even though the calipers are in the rear of the axle they are up high so they do not get hit.

Personally, I am not sure that I would have purchased this kit because for 300 bones you do not get the calipers. The rotors are custom made by TSM and as I found out if you need to replace one you have to go to TSM and the rotor is 90.00 ea.

The calipers used are the cadillac calipers which are expensive as well as the pads just because they are for a "Cadillac".

my $.02

Are you running a proportioning valve? Maybe you just need to proportion to front to the rear. I have one if you are not and want to try it

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like quite a lot of hassle and expense Tony. Thanks for the insight on that system.

I am not running a proportioning valve. I was running a Wilwood adjustable valve, but noticed I was running it all the way open to the rear anyway, so I took it out.

What I really want is a braking system that will lock up whenever I want. Maybe I would get that kind of stopping power if I put on a hydroboost system like yours. I know JT has one, but not sure if he will part with it. Maybe he would for some fab work. Waddaya say JT?

I haven't looked to see what the difference is between a 1/2 ton GM caliper and an Explorer caliper. Anybody done this research? Maybe there isn't any difference in stopping potential. Piston size, blah, blah, blah...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While I have this thing apart, I am going to put one of these cool yoke guards on it.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Cool product. The only thing I wonder about is the stress that you may put on the bolt heads if you mash it on the rocks?

Back on the brake subject. The hydroboost kicks ass. I have never ridden in or driven a jeep that stops like our CJ-7. I can make a passenger ping off the grab handle if I stomp on the brakes!

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Too keep factory parts availabilty.

I used chevy dana 44 front caliper mounts. Slighty ground 4 of 6 spindle holes to match backing plate mounting holes in 9".

Notched bottom of new caliper bracket so it can be slid in place without pressing any bearings.

Cut center out of stock backing plate to use as an axle spacer for proper bearing preload.

I used chevy dana 44 heavy 3/4 ton calipers along with jeep cj rotors.

The only pain is: I had to machine the outer flange of the axle shaft down slightly so the rotor hat would fit over it. This machineing allows the rotor to center on the axle, since the lug holes are larger in the rotor than in the axle.

I have this on my 4runner, pm me if you want to see. Also it is on jeff's (not a planet member)solid axle s10 blazer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts