Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting into working on my vehicle, basically just trying to make it a sound driver, its ok for now, but runs a bit rough as of lately plus I need shocks. Details:

1985 GMC Jimmy fullsize 4x4
400 SB chevy motor swap with 70K on the motor from rebuild
3" lift for now, once I get divetrain fixed its going up another 6"
33x12.5r15's for now...moving up to 35's when suspension upgrade
I'm assuming the front and rear are stock gears as well as the tranny and t-case, I will check soon, but the weather is crappy and I do not have a garage to work in.

Its not the greatest ride but it gets me from point A to point B, but I plan on putting some time and money into her to make it right.

Now the questions:

1) As of recently the motor has been either cutting out (silence for a split second) whenever I give it a bit of gas when its not 100% warmed up. I have also noticed just yesterday that while driving down the road (35-40mph...at 1800 RPM) I can hear one distinct exhaust sound separate from the regular muffler sound. Could this just be a timing issue..or bad plugs/wires/distributor?

2) I need shocks BAD, it has single shocks front and back and I'm looking around trying to find some shocks, wondering what everyone recomends for shocks, right now I'm looking at some skyjacker or rancho nitro shocks, but not sure what ones I need, on summit they have different categories for "ammount raised" is this how much the truck is raised already or how much the shocks will raise ride height?

Thats it for now, I'm sure I'll be back very soon when I start breaking things:drive: :drive:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Regarding question 1: the silence sounds like a mis-adjusted choke or carb in general. It's been a long time since I owned a carburated motor, so I'm not sure. I am assuming it has a carburetor and not fuel injected?
Don't know about the sound. Could be an exhaust leak? I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will post up.
Question 2 is easy, they are referring to the current height of the vehicle. You wouldn't want to put shocks for a stock height truck on a lifted truck. They would be too short. Shocks don't lift a vehicle by themselves. Everybody has their opinions on shock brands. I've been happy with Rancho products. Their RS5000 are very good and not very expensive.

I hope that helps. Keep us up to date on the buildup and post some pics.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I run Skyjacker shocks on the Jeep. They are around $45 each and work great.

I put Bilstiens on the truck, work good too. They are closer to the $75 a shock price though.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check choke adjustment on carb....Also change plugs and wire's...If ya want ya might change the cap and coil too...It should be HEI so coil is in the cap.....And yes it could be timming But I would change Plugs and stuff first before messing with Timming....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I did a quick carb adjustment today in the parking lot at work (damn cold!) and it seems to have helped a bit on the motor...she is runnin like a raped ape as of now, I increased idle by 200rpm (was runnin 650rpm at idle) and also adjusted the air/fuel mixture on the edelbrock about a 1/4 of a turn rich on each side, seems to have solved the popping noise (almost seemed like a miss)

I plan on getting a new coil and cap hopefully on this weekend if I have time, shocks are a must and they will hopefully be done in 2 weeks, then its a slow process from there re-doing the exhaust (adding headers and going dual exhaust)/motor and tranny.....should be able to have everything all set for next winter...with bodywork done when I can find the right parts and have time.....

Few pics of how it is right now:

Little bit of rust, but hey its 22 years old and I love her!!!
This summer as far as body work I'm going to concentrate on the floor pans and the doors/rocker panels to start with, the fenders are pretty decent, just the inner wells are shot, could use all new suspension parts but I will get there next year as its not a crucial part of what I want to do, I want this to be a great daily driver that I can run thru the mud and two tracks at will....I will use this vehicle to tow my boat next year so it needs to be running spot on.

Thanks for the help so far guys
James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts