1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
This is awsome that Greg is stepping up and taking this over for the year. We need to kick in as quite a few of us here enjoy Moab and this type of stuff can help keep it open.

They need $1800 to cover it all and you can do it via paypal to :

[email protected]

I'm sending him a few bucks now. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Thanks for the help and the link guys! I'm hoping this is something that will continue for years to come! :cool:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea, but it seems to me that with the amount of money that is brought into that town during the EJS that Moab should provide that stuff... or the park and rec service... or something.

Just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea, but it seems to me that with the amount of money that is brought into that town during the EJS that Moab should provide that stuff... or the park and rec service... or something.

Just my opinion though.

I fully understand, but the idea behind this project is to beat the Greenies to the cleanup & provide a place for the trash. A couple years ago there was a newspaper article in the Moab paper about a Greenie who was out at PSH each morning, picking up all the trash of the 'evil' 4wheelers. It was a very one-sided article, as you can imagine and the so-called environmentalists loved it.

One guy decided to do something about it, Jeff Knoll on POR.

He organized a cleanup every morning, making sure all the trash that was left behind was picked up. We're continuing this volunteer effort & could use as much help as we can get. We're not only asking for a small donation to provide a dumpster & toilets at PSH, but also asking for your time.

Cleanup is happening early in the morning, at Potato Salad hill. Please take 30 minutes out of your wheelin' vacation and show the community that you care. Besides it says a lot about your commitment to this sport by putting your money where your mouth is. :thumb:

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=40030

Hope to see some of you guys there! :cool:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Had to put 33" tenny runners on the TJ this payday (my old tires were showing patches of air through the rubber...okay...well, almost.) Next payday looks better. It's a good cause.

I do have to agree with Nate, though...seems Moab makes a Helluva lot of money during EJS and they could certainly invest some of it back into the source of the dinero.

-Mikey-

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I do have to agree with Nate, though...seems Moab makes a Helluva lot of money during EJS and they could certainly invest some of it back into the source of the dinero.

-Mikey-
Sure they could, but if WE as a community-not just planet, but all nation wide that go there
(yup I know the fund is SLC based, and now has been stickied here, but I betcha EJS goers are not just Wastch fronters, or from ID)

pitch into that container, and show forth effort to clean up the area
"that has become a mecca to so many"

(actually is a quote, just don't remember the source)

IT MIGHT
incite the community that prospers from our being there to expand the effort out of their pockets next year.
Worst case scenario being that they help offset the cost anyway.

Always a good idea to have to made the first move, especially where so many people want to take that away from us, and our future generations.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I agree with all that has been said, we as a 4x4 community are veiwed by the general public as people who really don't care about conservation or the feelings of others. I can understand this as I have seen many poeple in Moab (the four wheel drive guys) have really bad attitudes. We abosolutely have to take the initiative in this, we have one reputation and we need to change it and only by being proactive in something like this will we be able to change the publics perception about our sport. I believe that we need to do things like this with no outside help from anyone. When we do this poeple wil see we care more about conservation and public lands than any other group of poeple.

I will bet if we do this for a couple of years than the city of Moab will get involved.

My donation although small is on the way.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I do several trips to Moab each year. I've talked with many of the owners of shops, restaurants, etc... A lot of the community is against Easter Jeep Safari. And I can imagine why, really the money only goes to a few people in the community. Most folks pack in their own stuff. They buy very little and they raise hell while they are there. There are a lot of locals that actually tried to get Easter Jeep Safari stopped. I have a list of those businesses somewhere I'll try to dig it up. Remember Moab is more than just 4 wheelers. There are river rafters, hikers, mountain bikers, general tourists to the parks, etc... They can get income from other groups that aren't as rowdy. Heck, they even have a pretty good classic car show that goes on there. I have to admit I sort of side with the locals. Why should they have to put up with the garbage that goes on in their community? Why should they be left with the mess from a once a year party by non locals? I think it is great that organizations are starting to realize this and try to take the burden off of the community. I sent some stuff down last year for the cleanup. Really if everyone was a decent human being there would be no need for any type of cleanup. Everyone would be doing a cleanup of their own crap!

Another thing that is pretty cool is Moab BLM. They are very easy to work with. If you want to do a trail project all you have to do is call them up and ask. Tell them how much time you want to spend and how many workers you have and they will direct you to a spot where you can do the most good for the area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts