Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got Scotts bronco together last night fired it up and sparks and grinding noises abounded. Sparks appeared to come from where the starter teeth mesh with the flywheel. There was damage to the flywheel teeth and the starter teeth. So first of a couple of questions.

1. How many small block to C4 bellhousings were there, could the wrong bellhousing cause this?

2. How many different flexplates did Ford use for the small block family of engines(289-302-351w)

3. Are there different offsets of starters? It occured to me this morning that it started just fine (i. e. the starter is meshing with the flexplate) but the teeth on the starter were damaged on the face of them not all the way back. Kind of made me wonder if the starter is disengaging all the way or if there is a starter that puts the teeth more toward the body of the starter.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Appreciated by me too!

·
Registered
164 Posts
ford had four different balancings between small blocks, two different tooth counts and if you didn't put the spacer plate between the bellhousing and the block back in, it didn't matter what ya had. They even had one c-4 that had the ring gear welded on to the converter:thumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
My 5.0/C6 is doing the exact same thing. It looked like it my have been a bent flexplate but it was not bent enough to satisfy me that it is the actual problem.

The starter teeth were chewed about halfway and the ring gear the same.
When I would start the thing would make a hell of a noise! BTW the starter is one of those high dollar high torque starters.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Must be a Ford thing! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Can you roll the motor over by hand without any noise?
what is new to you and what was in the bronco before?
there are 2 common tooth counts 156-164 if I remember right you should eather have a 10 inch or 11 inch bolt to bolt on your converter. If you are using the big bell housing with the 156 fly wheel the starter won't fully ingage with the teeth. If you are the other way around the fly wheel could be hitting the bell housing.
My bronco has the 164 tooth set up which is common in most all the trucks.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
It doesn't hit the bell housing, found a starter that may work better. I will try it and see how it goes.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I got a starter built for an automatic and it seems to have fixed the problem! It was much easier than I had expected. Thanks for the imput from all of you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts