Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Humm...not sure what happenend to the hitch pin...but it came out as Jeremy and Sabrina were headed down 84 to Twin...at about 75mph. Pin comes out...then the stinger comes out...and then the trailer is taking him for a ride.

I was last in the convoy...damn sm465 and NO overdrive...and see Jeremy on the side of the road...and the jeep partially off the trailer.

During all of this excitement...somehow the jeep came forward on the trailer and the right front tire was a hanging off the side.

Ken Phillips had stopped a head of us and came back to see what happenend...

Jeremy was able to get a hold of Howard and he had another stinger...Howard had pulled off at Glenns Ferry. After driving the Jeep forward off the trailer...thus destroying the right fender of the trailer...we pulled the trailer and all the rigs off the side of the highway. I waited and watched the rigs while Ken and Jeremy headed up to Glenns Ferry to get the stinger from Howard.

Loaded back up and back on our way to Twin.

Ken found the "lost" stinger about 50 yards back up the highway laying on the side of the road!!!

Luckily the trailer did not send Jeremy and Sabrina across the higway and or on the side of the road. I'm sure that he will add his 2 cents in!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah, that is what we get for "borrowing" a trailer! :lame: :darn: We definately won't be borrowing this trailer again! :cussing:

Speaking of trailers......anyone know of a good deal on a trailer? Preferably 16' w/a wooden deck?? :idea:

I'm just thankful that
A: Jeremy was able to get it under control & stopped & no one was injured.
B: We found the borrowed hitch
C: Jim was there to capture this thrill ride
Thanks Jim. Also thanks to Howard, Both Ken's, Bill & the rest of our group for helping us get back on the road.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
When you were saying stinger, I was thinking those bumpers with a big triangle of pipe hanging out in the front.

Jeep flew forward probably because those chains weren't tight enough. It's hard to get chains tight... which is why I like ratchet straps better (well plus I get them free from work :thumb: )

Stinger = ball mount :thumb:

·
Registered
401 Posts
What was wrong with the borrowed trailer?:confused:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
IdJeepGirl said:
Yeah, that is what we get for "borrowing" a trailer! :lame: :darn: We definately won't be borrowing this trailer again! :cussing:

DANG! glad yall got that circus ride stopped without more damage than what happened, But what does the borrowed trailer have to do with someone not putting the hitch pin or cotter pin in???????????????

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stinger = ball mount :thumb:[/quote]

I say tomato..you say tomahto...same frickin thing....sorry that I did not use the "correct" terminology:flipoff: .

Some call it a "draw bar" as well..as noted in this line from an internet ad "For receiver style hitches, a drawbar (stinger) and tow ball are required"

·
Registered
397 Posts
was the ball to small for it why did it come off???

·
Registered
385 Posts
:idea:
muddinmike said:
DANG! glad yall got that circus ride stopped without more damage than what happened, But what does the borrowed trailer have to do with someone not putting the hitch pin or cotter pin in???????????????

Thats just the thing the cotter pin WAS in. Along with hitch pin/cross pin or whatever you want to call it. Everything was hooked in tight. There is no logical reason for this to have happened.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re-read the 1st line of the post "...at about 75mph. Pin comes out...then the stinger comes out...and then the trailer is taking him for a ride. "

If we knew...I would have posted it....or Jeremy would have...

Jeremy did not say if it was a 2 or 2 5/16" ball...he borroewd another stinger from Howard and worked fine...looking at the trailer..I seriously doubt that is was the larger ball size...

As for the pin and clip...not sure what happened there either...but it wasn't there anthe stinger came out of the reciever...intersting though...why did the ball come un-attached from the trailer...unless it came out when the thing dropped to the ground...and it was forced out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
str8six4me said:
was the ball to small for it why did it come off???
We were using the ball & hitch that the owner of the trailer gave us, so I'm assuming that it was the correct size for the trailer. We have no idea why it came off. Like I posted above everything was hooked up just like it was supposed to be. Freak of nature I suppose???:shocked:

·
Registered
385 Posts
AH said:
What was wrong with the borrowed trailer?:confused:
There is nothing wrong w/borrowing a trailer, especially if you don't have one.

This trailer, as we found out was not freeway worthy. The tires were horribly out of balance, causing vibrations. Which we didn't find out, of course, until we were on the road. Once in Twin we also discovered that the tread was starting to seperate on one of the tires. We later found out that there was no liscence plate, not a huge issue, but still illegal. All in all, not a good trailer for what were were using it for.

Now, I'm not saying this is entirely the owners fault. Let me make that CLEAR! We should have checked it out in much more detail before agreeing to borrow it. We are greatful that nothing major happened. IE: death, dismemberment, mutilation, ect. :rotfl: And are thankful that we were able to make it to the run in Twin Falls because of borrowing this trailer. :thumb:

·
Registered
940 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
IdJeepGirl said:
This trailer, as we found out was not freeway worthy. The tires were horribly out of balance, causing vibrations. Which we didn't find out, of course, until we were on the road. Once in Twin we also discovered that the tread was starting to seperate on one of the tires. We later found out that there was no liscence plate, not a huge issue, but still illegal. All in all, not a good trailer for what were were using it for.
I guess it is a good lesson for all of us to learn. Inspect the equipment and verify its reliablity.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Wow! glad to see your alright!

Good job getting that thing stopped before it got worse. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
385 Posts
AH said:
I guess it is a good lesson for all of us to learn. Inspect the equipment and verify its reliablity.
AMEN!! :bowdown:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Curious. In Idaho, if you are pulling a trailer, is the speed limit 65 or 75? I know in many states you have to follow the truck speed limit. I usually roll about 65-70 just because it's easier on fuel and easier to stop in an emergency.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You can do the speed limit, but should you?

Bad roads, weather etc. crash - to fast for existing conditions? Lawsuit, etc. etc.

Common Sense should prevail again!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ahhh...."smokey" chimes in:drive:

Remember that they can give you a ticket for "too fast for conditions" if you wreck but were only doing 5 mph!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts