Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out in Ririe for those who dont know they shut down the feeders also known as the dry bed.

i took the blazer out on sunday, and took it down in the dry bed, i was doing great tell i came to a hole i couldent go around, and was to steep on the sides to go on the side of it... so i attempted the middle, and found out that you can only go as deep as your air intake will let you, so i had to back up, turn around and no more fun, i saw someone out there in front of me, he was in a jeep and had a snorkel on it he drove right threw it with no problem water went up to the windshield out the other side....

??? do they make a snorkle kit that goes on the blazer, how much $$ is it,
does any one in Idaho Falls do something like this? is this a good idea or will it mess up the motor?

i am going next sunday as well if any one wants to go play.....

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
IIRC, the ARB snorkal kit for the mid 80's Landcruiser wagon will work on the Chev with a little modification. Its not cheap though.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nate has a removable snorkal on his Jeep. Surly he will post up with Details.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Travis, I can build you one.. Not sure what i'll charge, byt I already know how it will work the best for you.
parts will be kind of $$ though for what I have in mind, and you won't be able to keep your amsoil or K&N filter.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My snorkel is just PVC pipe that hooks to the air box. Cost me like $20 for the fittings and pipe.

The water got deeper in the middle (was coming over my hood) and my distributor got wet, but I was able to get across with it missing on a few cylinders. Wet dizzy is easy to fix. Water sucked into a motor :darn:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
hey guys, how hard is it to seal up a stock airbox, instead of using one of those TBI cold air intake thingies?
ALSO to seal up the dizzy, just use liberal amounts of dielectric grease around the lip of the cap and in both ends of each plug wire. I'd do the same thing with the alternator connections. Silicone can work too, but dielectric grease is better.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how much does this restrict my air flow? i was told today that if i drop into a water hole i can crack the block?

AJ interested in it, proably dont want PVC thow drop me a price....

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
chevycrew said:
look on ebay for a cheap cold air intake kit, they run about $50 i think.
that's what I was thinking... then plumb it out the side and along the passenger side A pillar, so it doesn't resrict the driver view.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
str8six4me said:
how much does this restrict my air flow? i was told today that if i drop into a water hole i can crack the block?

AJ interested in it, proably dont want PVC thow drop me a price....
it will restrict it some... not sure how much though. It all depends on how the design turns out, as well as the diameter of the intake.
I think you would have to be almost overheated, and drop into ice cold water on order for anything to even come close to happening. Your block is surrounded in water as it is, and I don't think a 150* temperature change is enough to crack it. Just my opinion though.
not sure on a price... we need to get together and figure out a plan first.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Sucking water into the motor can cause it to hydro-lock - water wont compress or ignite like the gasoline and air and this can cause the cylinder compression to blow up somewhere - cracking the block is a possibility as is sending a piston out the side of the motor.

That is the concern of running a motor in the water. The temp change is not the concern, just like AJ was saying.

The same thing can happen if you get oil running into the tops of the cylinders (like when your rig is on it roof and still running)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Something like this as a base, then plumb from there... seal it up good with dielectric grease... maybe silicone on top where the wing nut goes...
what do you guys think? This is what I always planned on using for a snorkel setup.
clicky

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah we dropped in water when it was -20* and I've never heard of a block cracking.

Restrictive? Well I'd rather have some restriction and loose 15-20 hp then gernade a motor when I suck in water.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
nate said:
Yeah we dropped in water when it was -20* and I've never heard of a block cracking.

Restrictive? Well I'd rather have some restriction and loose 15-20 hp then gernade a motor when I suck in water.
exactly... except, I think with his 383, he would only lose maybe 5-10 hp is all... you wouldn't even be able to tell.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I think I'll buy one of them turd's, install it with the pipe pointing back, punch a hole in the fire wall, stick the filter on inside the cab behind the dash and call it good :drive:

the top of the throttle body on the TBI set up has a regular size circle where the air cleaner pan goes on as say any ol edelbrock doesnt it?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
muddinmike said:
I think I'll buy one of them turd's, install it with the pipe pointing back, punch a hole in the fire wall, stick the filter on inside the cab behind the dash and call it good :drive:

the top of the throttle body on the TBI set up has a regular size circle where the air cleaner pan goes on as say any ol edelbrock doesnt it?
yuppers..

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I put a snorkel on my TBI 350 FJ60 Land Cruiser. I used a Chevy Astro Van intake tube. I sealed the warm air intake with a metal plate and some silicon. I used huge hose clamps to secure the plastic Astro van intake tube to the air cleaner with some of that military silicon tape wrapped to seal it even tighter. Then I used a 4" PVC 90 degree fitting to mate it up to the Safari snorkel. The Safari Snorkel wasn't that expensive. I think I paid $248 for it and big chunk of that was shipping as it came oversized. Some of you are missing the most important concern other than water in the intake. The FAN! Even a clutch fan running on a motor will quickly grenade into the radiator when it hits deep water. A permanent fan is even worse. Electric is OK because you can turn it off. For a short water crossing you can tether a clutch fan if it isn't locked up.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts