Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
83 silverado 4x4 looks like its sitting lower in the back.
i bought the truck the way it sits, it has been lifted, Body & Suspension.
im wondering if it was done right. or maybee i just need a different block in the rear to even it out. you can check out the pics in my garage photo, and see what i mean.
ah, and ya i got the super swampers on now. :)

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Alot of these trucks sit high in the rear from the factory and it seems that lift companys like to get them level. So I am guessing that your stock springs in the back are sagged somewhat (not unusual) You could easily just put a bigger block in but I might be looking for a set of low mileage springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip.
i did notice that one of the front springs is sagged a bit,and i have a little lean to the left. my guess is because it sat on a couple flats for god knows how long, but when i picked up the truck it hadnt been registered in 10 years.
OMG.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
or if the stock shocks were left on the back. mine were over extended and held the rear axle up about 2 inches (yes im a noob) but its something to check

·
Registered
18 Posts
You could do a bigger block kit on the truck to achieve the height that you will need, but with the springs starting to fatigue and not changing the spring out this will be an ongoing issue. Most blazers (almost all of them) will show a little rear spring fatigue because the last ones were made in 91' (k-5 anyway). After at least 16 years of that heavy cab on the back most of the springs will flatten out a little. You could do an add-a-leaf kit to put some life back into the spring pack, but depending on how fatiged the spring is will determine how long that approach will last. It will cost a little more $ but replacing the spring with new o.e.m. springs (which would probably cost the same as a new lifted spring) or putting a new lifted spring will probably completely resolve the problem for another 20 yrs. Just depends on how much $ and time you want to spend to fix the problem. HTH!:thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts
oh! i forgot to post, shocks will not hold any weight to the vehicle due to all standard gas shocks and hydrolic shocks will only hold a combined weight of about 28lbs (not enought to pick any of the truck up). The only possibilty of a shock holding weight is if it is a air shock, or gas charged adjustable shock that is valved for that particular vehicle. These are special order applications and just about any lift on the market will only include a gas or hydrolic shock that is designed for rebound (unless ordered with the special order shocks designed to hold weight). HTH

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
If you are going to replace the springs you might as well go with a lift spring and eliminate the blocks, they just make wheel hop a part of life. Or go with oem springs and a shackle flip setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts