Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 85 k10 the 700r4 has been taken out and a th-350 has been put in. My question is how much power will the np208"I think thats what I have" and the 10bolts"once again I think I have" handle. The sticker in my glove box says I have locking diff would that be the rear only? What lockers should I put in? It seem slike I know nothing cuz I am mustang guy just getting into this stuff.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
That really depends on the tire size you run. But that said, I would not put lockers in a half ton rear axle, even with 31" tires, they will break soon enough without the help of lockers... The 208 is not your weak link at this point, I would focus on strength of the rear axle first.

all this said, if you plan on 4 wheeling it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
My Dad's got a 79 Chev 1/2 ton... we have overloaded that thing to the point of breaking springs. I remember hauling lime for the yard one day. We had just under 2 tons in the back and it wasn't squatting that bad.

Truck is used for plowing snow as well.

Somehow until last winter, never 1 problem with the 10 bolts. It's still got the factory fill in the diffs.. my Dad is horrible on preventative maintence "I'll fix it when it breaks" attitude. Funny cause he's a mechanic :darn:

Last winter around Christmas we got like 24" overnight of wet, heavy, snow (really not that much... but still alot to plow and hard to push) and he broke a U joint, which also took out both shafts.

He does run cheap ass tires, you know the ones at Walmart, all 4 for $80... No idea how they haven't blown when hauling a ton of weight.

Here's a pic from a few years ago:

Attachments

·
semi-pro hack
1,202 Posts
Don't put any money in that rear axle.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
14 bolt. They are strong, fairly easy to find and cheap. Kinda like Chevy 350s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts