Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eventually i will be needing to lengthen a driveshaft or two. probly sooner than i would like. i was just wondering if its worth adding to an existing driveshaft or get a custom one made. is there iny one in mt home that does this type of work or will i be traveling to boise. i have also seen a few square driveshafts around the trails lately. would those stand up to v8 power. any input is appreciated, thanks! :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Just take your existing driveshaft to JIMS in boise. He helps out WWOR with donations and stuff. I have never busted any of his driveshafts on any of my rigs.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info guys...

but what about those home brew square drive shafts that i have seen. will those hold up to a bit of power or not.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
trevortoyota said:
thanks for the info guys...

but what about those home brew square drive shafts that i have seen. will those hold up to a bit of power or not.
Yeah if you use Receiver tubing, you can make a front dline...

Dont expect to drive in 4 high though, or even fast in 4low...It will vibrate like a mofo!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
What Rudzuk said is true. Square seems to work fine for SLOW stuff only.

Jim's in Garden City has built all of my drive shafts. If I can't break them they must be strong. I'm not a big fan of mail-order drivelines. I like to be able to know that the place that does my work is "local" and accessable. Besides, your money stays in Idaho.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would stay away from the square shafts on your rig since it is continuous 4wd, they work great with manual hubs, I can only get about 35-40 mph out of mine in 4 Hi before the vibs start up, their not to bad I just dont want to kill my carrier bearings and locker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts