Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got started on installing that doubler that’s been sittin around for a while now. Got the doubler and t case all put in last night. Took the rear driveline in to be shortened today, but after doing some calculations, found out that I’m going to need to run a cv style. So I’ll need a whole new rear driveline assembly built. After that I’ll have a few random things to do, as well as a new tranny cross member, front drive shaft, and such. If I don’t get too busy again I should have it all done in a week or so.

I'm not much of one to take pictures during a build...once I get my hands dirty, they stay dirty. So this may not be a step by step process.

·
Registered
183 Posts
what t-cases did you use and what tranny do u have?

p.s. nice work.:beer:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
all stock stuff...tranny is a Mitsubishi 5sp, tt case is a Borg Warner 1350, doubler is a modded Borg Warner 1350. Front half of case with front outpuc cut off, new back plate cut, and new output shaft machined. Have heard that strength may be an issue, but I figured I'd give it a try.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Awesome!

I can't wait to go wheelin' with you now that you have more power, more gears, and no fear!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't know about the no fear part....I've got more tied up in this one and it is still my daily driver. But everything is repairable or upgradeable, right?

So this is what I've got goin on now. Rear driveline. 23.5" in length with an 8.25" drop. Here are my pinion angles. Give me some opinions and what you guys think I should/need to do.

Transfer Case Angle

Pinion angle.

My pinion angle is now about twice that of my transfer case, what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
545 Posts
if you're running a single cv shaft then basically just point the pinion directly at your t-case. That minimizes the angle on the single u-joint at the pinion end.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if I have enoguh room to run a sings. I believe I do, but I'll need to double check my calc.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Swapped out rad arms and got new mounts for them. New tranny cross member that doubles as a skid. The cross member supports both eh tranny and the doubler. With that much added leverage on an aluminum housing it wasn't a bad idea to put in a little support. Now it's got clean lines with a flat belly. Rad arms now can act as sliders and everything is up and out of the way. Total crawl ratio is about 120:1. There are a few more things to finish up, need to get the drivelines build and it should be ready to go.
Also modified the coil bucket. Get a bit more flex out of it. I'll need to ramp it again to get definite numbers, but limit straps are in the picture. I will need to get some new shocks as the current are not the proper length and are shot. On with the pics.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That's some sweet looking fab work Swiss! Totally impressed.

·
Registered
183 Posts
hey swiss you get some drivelines for that thing?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the drivelines made and put in. Running an 18 deg pinion angle and 5 deg down on the t case. The dline angle came out to about 20-21 deg. Need to put in a new speedo cable and a few other things and she'll be done for now.

Top shaft is the lengthened front shaft, next one down is the stock length for comparison,. and the next two are the rear shafts. One cv and one standard. I'll keep the standard as a spare for now and lengthen the other stock front so I can carry spare d lines all around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts