Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what a T&M Doubler output shaft looks like after undergoing a 3500 RPM clutch drop and 35's.

If you look at it, the failure was right at the oiling hole. The hole had been filled in with weld material probably removing the heat treat causing a weak link in the system. The discoloration of the shaft makes me thing that they had them heat treated after, but I'll update once the shaft gets cut and checked. Still managed to find weld slag in the location. Also note the discoloration on the bearing surface where the shaft exits the doubler, note: no bearing in the design. I don't attribute that to the failure since it doesn't seem to be related, but still just to point out a possible area of concern.

Got to love BW centering capabilities. Wonder what spec is, but I bet I could measure the difference in wall thickness accurately with a ruler on this one. Who's working quality control there?

Overall, few design flaws that i am a little concerned about. I've got Moser Engineering turning me down another stock shaft, this time the oiling hole will be left open and I'll try to reduce my 3500 rpm clutch drops when I have too much traction. Still, I don’t know exactly how much the shaft was fatiguing before failure. Comments?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
203/205 doubler??

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1356? What's that out of? I know that the 1354 (Explorers) came with 6 planitaries vs. 4 and a yoke front output instead of a slip, but i haven't had any failures in either area. I can swap planitaris as they are interchangeable, but I haven't been motivated to do so. Interested in the 1356 idea, any more info?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
1356 were put in the fullsize pickups and bronco's.....i may have 2 available here soon if you are interested. they are a slip yoke rear and a fixed yoke front. I have seen a few fixed yoke rears as well, but couldn't tell you where to look for those....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I had time maybe, but this project is supposed to be on the back burner now. I've got a yota I've been itchin to get started on!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts