Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my question has two parts, Part1 what kind of 5spd. manual tranny does a 87 dodge dakota 4x4 have in it? Part2 would it be cheaper/ easier to swap it out and replace it with the same kind or take it out and have it rebuilt?

p.s. whatever i do i'm taking it out myself and putting it back. do transmission companys hate it when people bring the tranny in without the truck or car?

the problem is that it run, but the only gear in the tranny that works is the 4th gear out of 5 gears.

thanx for any info,

JIM

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
sorry, I can't tell you what it is...
personally, I would just get one out of a wrecking yard and put it in..
I don't mind it when customers bring me just the tranny's to fix, I love trannies, I just hate pulling and installing them! :deal:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Yeah, the cheapest would be a junkyard or to rebuild it yourself. Most tranny shops here would rather have you pull it then them.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
With only fourth gear working, that means that probably your input shaft and counter shaft gears are toast! Pretty common with the light duty truck trannies, across the board, chevy, dodge, ford, mazda, etc........

About the only thing that may be savable from your trans would be the case and output shaft/gear cluster. If you can find a used one, slap it in, otherwise, plan on laying down some cash.

I would rather have a trans brought to me than have to pull it out, in fact, I hardly ever pull a trans, unless it's someone I know and like.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
lol... that says something when the boards' two tranny guys tell you to pull it then bring it in.. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

man, I REALLY hate pulling trannies!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx for the info i'm just waiting on some cash then i will make up my mind no what i want to do. thanx again

Jim

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i found out it is a nv2500

1 - 7 of 8 Posts