Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey matt do your bolts sit flat on the beadlock ring? I welded one of mine up last night and i dont like what Im seeing so far.............

looks bitchen from a distance

but up close it's not lookin good :scared:

I used 1.5" long bolts like suggested also and the end's of the bolts BARELY hit the nylon part of the nylock nuts. How far do your bolts engage the nut?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Hey Mike I don't have mine on yet but yes Matts did the same thing. I expect mine will do the same also but from what I have seen this is a pretty normal thing with any do it yourself beadlock ring set I have seen pics of the ones form rock equipment and seen some other ones in person and they all did it too. I would like to find some solution to keep them from doing this, but after looking around on the internet the only thing I can really come up with is to measure the distance the inner and outer ring are from each other and bend a piece of flat to go around the bottom ring ( the piece of flat being the measured distance ) but I think this would take some figureing to get the clamping force right etc and I think it still may bend a little like that. Just one idea I also don't think I will run washers as the point of washers is to spread the load and they don't seem to be doing that very well. As far as the bolts engaging the nylocs I don't know. Let me know what you think or if you have any ideas for reducing the "coning effect" :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's only at 12# torque(sp) I wonder if a wider wheel wold help it some? I picked up some 7" wheel's from a junkyard to try an "push" the inner bead a little more so I dont pop it (16.5) maybe I should weld one onto one of my 10" rims and see what it looks like and just order another inner ring????????????????????????????

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Matts are on pretty wide rims there is something on Pirate on this in their tech archives and they delve into it quite a bit. Probably be a good read for you and mabey you could glean a bit more from it than I did since you have your beadlocks sitting there :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that was quite a read, guess I wont worry about it :?

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
They do that. A larger ring or a thinner tire will help that. I added the washers to help distribute the load some. A step down ring or some type of inner ring filler would help that but I dont think its worth the effort.

I really gave mine the field test and had no problems at all. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been out for a couple days so I didn't see this post. Sorry for any delays. I have messed around with adding a ring to the kit to keep the "coning" effect under control. Problem is the thickness of the rubber isn't consistant from one tire to another. I measure 4 tires and had 4 different thicknesses. So from a manufacturing stand point I can't seem to find a solution that will fix it for everybody. Basically its a cosmetic problem. As Matt said he tested them pretty thouroughly and I don't think it will ever be a problem. I have several customers in this area that have been running them for some time as well and haven't had any troubles. One of them was running an unreliable on board air source and of course it gave up after partially reinflating one tire so he drove the 30 some miles home aired down.

As to the 1.5" bolts not being long enough, your the first I've heard run into this. Just another example of the bead thicknesses varying from tire to tire. I have 44" swampers and am using 1.25" bolts and they just catch the nyloc. They are a touch short so I recommend 1.5" to everybody. My tires have the thickes bead that I measured.

Its always something. :banghead:

Let me know if I can help any. And I wanted to add, if you do decide to try a wider rim, if your careful, it is possible to remove the weld ring from the rim. I've done it once. It took some time but it is possible. You basically need to remove as much weld with a grinder laid flat on the weld. Once you get there, use a thin wheel to split the two.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I looked it over some more today and Im definatly gonna run a wider rim, will you sell me just one inner ring? I really dont want to screw with cutting the old one off. As far as the length of the bolts go I'll see how it works out on a wider rim and if the bead sits flater and the bolts engage more. I would really hate to throw away 66 bux on bolts I cant use :banghead:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
I went to 20 foot pounds on each bolt and it ate up the distance. Its a lot of set up time but I have not touched them since.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
The tighter you go, the more they will cone. I dont think the coning is a big deal. I've never heard of a problem with it.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

1 - 12 of 12 Posts