Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last two saturdays we've went out. The first saturday was a pretty good time. Cleaning up some old trails that have gotten overgrown and that also meant alot of climbing logs which can get fun.

This past Saturday was a whole nother story. Broken drive shaft due to axle wrap. Busted steering column, shattered windsheild and smashed frame, and lastly a fender flare went MIA.

The broked steering column proved to be the biggest of the problems but was resolved in a few hours. Another bad part of that brake, it occurred about 200 feet into the trail.

:banghead:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
at least you got a chance to get out and do some wheeling....
glad you got to go!! :deal: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
530 Posts
hell,or even a descriptive call of events that lead to the damage.Give us some details and pics :finger:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, its been a while now but I'll recall the events best I can. First off was the steering sector shaft. It was a really dumb thing. Trail leader heads into the trail and we were right behind him. First real sharp corner in the trail and he walks right off the end of the trail turning the wheel like crazy but nothing happening. He said he didn't even feel it go. Must have already been falling off. So, Take that all apart and scrounge up a welder and fixer up and were going again. Everything was going pretty well for quite some time. Climbing over logs here and there and the occasional tight squeeze between the trees. The rig that I was in went to climb a pretty steep embankment when it got to hopping just a bit and then came the sound of carnage. Upon closer inspection the leaf springs in the rear had taken a permanent S shape. Little too soft maybe. I think that was the largest contributing factor. While we were under the sami inspecting what was left of the rear shaft the other guys were winding there way back around too us and didn't fit under that last branch. There goes the windshield frame and glass. All over there laps. HA... No cuts or anything just a nice mess and colder drive home. Back to the drive shaft. We decide not to take it off cause we still need all 4 wheels driving to get back out and its all ready hammered. The plan was to keep some tension on things so we limp it out real careful like. Somewhere in the middle of all this the fender flared bailed. It was a good time. Everything is fixed again and ready to go.

Sorry for the book but you asked...

·
Registered
530 Posts
:thumb: right on brutha..good read

1 - 9 of 9 Posts