Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Dana 60 do i need for my 84 K5 blazer? are they differnet?

how much are they for a good one? (like new)

where can i get one, around the idaho falls area?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
You need a Chevy front Dana 60 all pretty much the same. Around a 1000 bucks, but for a new one Boyce Equipment has them for like 2200 I think :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks eric.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
might know where 1 or 2 are for about 900 bux. They might need brakes and the rotors turned. They can be found around Boise. I can deliver them, as i have to head to that area soon. PM me and let me know if you are interested, and i can get on getting them

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was looking at a king pin dana 60 for my 03 2500 and oru.com says they start at $5,000 so shouldn't I just be able to buy the axel from someone then buy the IFS conversion kit? :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
What starts a $5000? A kingpin D60? You can find passenger drops for those out of a chevy for less than $1000. You would need a drivers drop or a change of t-case. If you want a drivers drop D60 look for 78-79 and I think 86-91 F350 and some F250 for a drivers drop high pinion and ball joints. Those are typically a little more but no where near $5000.

·
Registered
167 Posts
JoshH said:
What starts a $5000? A kingpin D60? You can find passenger drops for those out of a chevy for less than $1000. You would need a drivers drop or a change of t-case. If you want a drivers drop D60 look for 78-79 and I think 86-91 F350 and some F250 for a drivers drop high pinion and ball joints. Those are typically a little more but no where near $5000.
doah whistle :scared: wow I'm lost umm....yeah they said 5,000 big ones for a new kingpin Dana 60 that doen't inclue the conv. kit to make it fit in place of the stock IFS. About the F350 drivers drop and pinion I have no idea what your tlaking about still learning :( but if you think I can build the front axle for $1000 sign me up.... :deal:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Okay, if you're talking $5000 for a NEW d60 I can believe that. When you are looking to upgrade your rig the wrecking yard is your friend. Those axles I mentioned are out of older trucks you can find in local wrecking yards. Drivers drop means the driveshaft connects to the axle on the drivers side. That is how your truck is setup now, so if you don't want to change your transfercase you will want to get a drivers side differential.

There are two parts to the gears in an axle. These are commonly refered to as a ring and pinion. On the left in this picture is the pinion on the right is the ring. The ring is what bolts to the differential. The pinion is what the driveshaft bolts to.

In a standard axle the pinion comes into the ring gear below the centerline of the axle.

In a high pinion axle the pinion contacts the ring gear above the centerline of the axle.

A high pinion axle gives you better driveshaft angles and better clearance for your driveshafts. In a front axle it also gives you more strengthe because of how the gears are cut for a high pinion.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok thanks I think I got ya :banghead: but is the drivers drop from an old ford gonna fit an 03 chevy 2500? Sry I'm so complicated but I'm still new but thank you Josh for everything I'll get it together and have it goin one day. :beer:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts