Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What axle upgrade options out there for a Dana 30 in the back of a '98 Jeep? Is there a Dana 44 that can be sourced or somthing?

Thanks!

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have a ford 9" you could put under there. has 4.56 gears and im told a limited slip :deal:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sandman said:
What axle upgrade options out there for a Dana 30 in the back of a '98 Jeep? Is there a Dana 44 that can be sourced or somthing?

Thanks!
Dana 30 in the back of a Jeep????? Thats a new one on me....But a Dana44 was in TJ's that year an so it would be a direct swap if it's going into a TJ. If it's a XJ you can find 44s for those also, I think 87-89 had them on the tow packages. Lots of people do the 8.8 swap but you still have the C-clip, some people have luck with the super35 kit also.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I'd go for the 8.8 conversion. you can get a disk brake version from Shaws for around $330.00(I was looking just this morning). Ya they are still c-clip but with shafts and tubes bigger then a 44's you probably wouldn't have to worry about breaking it. Even with the cost of a set of c-clip eliminators you're still way under the price of a super 35 kit, plus the 35 kit still leaves you with the weak 35 axle tube.
I got the 8.8 with drums and we just reinstalled Kenny's 8.8 w/ disc's this evening. Steve did the swap on Kenny's YJ w/coil conversion so he would know what would be involved in swaping it into a TJ.
I'm most likely going to sell mine and get one w/disc's since Shaws has them pretty cheap right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The rear axle in a Cherokee or YJ was a Dana 35 with the Cherokee having a Dana 44 as an option. The Commanche pickups had an interesting option yet again, they had a 1 ton version that used an AMC20 rear axle like the one in the Wagoneers, not like the POS that was used in the CJs. It only came with 4.10s in that truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The C clip is located in a non stress bearing part of the axle and you would have to be running some really huge tires and be most unlucky to break a 8.8 shaft. Warn tried and their test equipment broke before they could break the 8.8 axle shaft (yes it was a stock axle). Those thing are massive. If you go the 8.8 route, get a 97 or newer and make sure that it comes out of an Explorer (mustang/ranger have smaller splines) and you can find them with a LSD. Yeah its not a locker but they come free, so you can wheel and save up for one. Also when you take out your D35 and you are going to re-use your sring mounts (TJ) make sure that you have them side by side so you can get you angles/placement right. MORE has new brakets that will make this swap much easier and less frustrating. To bad you don't have a YJ, it's much easier but it will be worth it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree the 8.8 is the best bang for the buck. I ran one for a year on 38.5 SX's without breaking it. I did buy some upgraded shafts but I think the stock stuff is good to 35"s. I would recomend getting the tubes welded in better than stock especially if you wheel hard. I didn't and was OK but had built a truss that may have helped (or I just got lucky). Good axle with lots of traction options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
its either a 35 in the rear or a 44. not a 30. 30s only came in the front. on to the next subject. I have had luck w/ my 27 spline detroit w/ only breaking an axle shaft 1 time. when I get my propaned sbc put in the YJ the rear will be given the 30 spline treatment if not full size axles. I reccomend the super 35 kit if you have anything above 33s.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Oops Sorry Old thread !

IdahoEagle said:
The rear axle in a Cherokee or YJ was a Dana 35 with the Cherokee having a Dana 44 as an option. The Commanche pickups had an interesting option yet again, they had a 1 ton version that used an AMC20 rear axle like the one in the Wagoneers, not like the POS that was used in the CJs. It only came with 4.10s in that truck.
Isn't the MJ a leaf under too ? My nephew found me a 44 out of a 89 XJ in Vegas and is gearing it to my rig. It will be a bolt in swap. They are out there just have to search the bone yards.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I would say get a 95+ Exploder 8.8 with disc brakes. It is also 31 spline.

If it is a YJ or XJ no problem just weld on some spring perches. If it is for a TJ I can help you out getting axle brackets or welding them on.

I did one for Tjeremy for his TJ, Grip Guru runs this same axle as well.

Unless it is an XJ, I wouldnt put a 9" in there.....It is way too low of a pinion, you will have nothing but problems with Dlines.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant even remember why I asked this! :darn:

Thanks for all the reply's though. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I must be unlucky :thumb:

mac4wilson said:
The C clip is located in a non stress bearing part of the axle and you would have to be running some really huge tires and be most unlucky to break a 8.8 shaft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
nate said:
I must be unlucky :thumb:
Nah, just ginxed by your spotter ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts