Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finished pulling the drive shafts out of the 77 Jimmy and went to change all the U-joints. The Rear driveshaft was a piece of cake, however, the Double-Cardan CV joint on the front suprised me: The U-joints did not have any locking rings on the CV joint itself! :shock:

Here's the question: Is this normal or has the PO just not fully seated the u-joint? Your thoughts or observations would be most appreciated. :mrgreen:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Are the locking rings on the inside? I've seen that before. The rings go around the cup on the inside of the housing.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats a good Question Sandman - I did not disassemble the CV joint to check - I just stopped where I was at (since it was getting dark anyway). I'll just pull this puppy apart this weekend and see where it leads. Thanks for the input....I'll check it out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Lucky for you I just did this very thing yesterday. From the factory, they used a plastic locking setup. You just have to press the caps until the plastic pins shear off. Then you can get them out like normal. I used a ball joint press and it worked great. Once you get the old ones out you just install the new joints and use the inside c-clips like normal.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, I count my blessings every day. Who or what is the factory they used a plastic locking setup? I don't have to do whatever you say. I have my own free will. And that worked well for you. When? You got that right.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I just did the ones in my little 2X4 yota and they had the clips in the inside like ****-boy was sayin earlier.... :deal: :deal: :finger:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I didn't pull them out yet but I took a good look at the setup - you guys hit it right on the head - it has the inside clips - can't say for sure if they're plastic or not but once it gets on the bench I'll know for sure!!

Thanks again!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
You cant see the plastic clips, they are inside the yoke. If you see clips then they are metal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts