Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the new bling that the UPS man delivered the other day. I started to tear into the "donor" case last night, and I have to have the bearing pressed off the main shaft today, then I will reassemble the thing tonight, and hopefully get it back in tonight, so I can have the new drive shafts made tomorrow. Then I can go test this weekend. Sorry, AJ I got a little to excited last night and decided to tear into it. I was going to wait until this weekend, but with the memorial day run coming up, I wanted to have plenty of time to get it in and test. Those of you wondering AJ graciously offered up his skillez to help me out, and I greatly appreciate that. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
lol... no worries!!! :thumb: :thumb:
hope you get it together without any problems!
if you do run into anything, give me a call! :finger: :finger:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Man! :thumb:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I put a doubler in my 85 a couple of months back. When I open up my donor case all of the bearings fell on the floor. I call Marlin and they shipped me a bearing kit for $50. I purchase a front drive line to use in the back. I had Tom Woods re-tube both drive lines for $250. It was by far the best mod that I have done.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think I will need to run a cv style shaft in the back, being that the original truck was a long bed and my rear shaft now is like 6 feet. Are you runnin' two stock cases or did you change the gearing in one. I am really excited to get this going, should make the thing a beast.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I am running stock in both. For now it is geared low enough. I plan on going to 35's some time next year. I will see how it work then. One of the side benefits that I didn't think I would use is the low range in 2 wheel drive, that has come in handy a few times.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K. so I found out last night that I am a complete idiot! To run dual cases the rear most or "complete" case must be a top shift case, which is what the case that I turned into the crawl box was, and after a "quick" glance at my truck is what "appeared" to be in it. Well I got the final assembly done on my new crawl box done yesterday afternoon, thanks to some quick welding from Steve at C.B.I., and we went to pulling out the "stock" t-case in the truck. After removeing the shift boot I about shit my pants, to see a "forward" shift t-case in my truck. $hit, @*[email protected], God [email protected]*^!!! Like I said, you cannot use a forward shifting case for the rear case. Just a FYI for anyone that cares. So after an embaressing call to Marlin, he told me I have basically 3 options. 1) take apart the crawl box I assembled, re assemble it back to stock form, and take apart my forward shifting case and turn it into the crawl box. No problem, if had not just thrown all the spare parts into a bucket. 2) Buy Marlins shift fork conversion kit and turn my forward shifting case into a top shift case. No big deal either, except $80 for the shift forks + shipping and about 3-4 days, plus I would still have to disassemble the forward shift case. 3) Find a top shift case and bolt it in. I like option 3. So I made a few calls to see if I could find one, and I have a few leads. Hopefully it pans out. I also drped the shafts off this morning. I want to say thanks to Steve at CBI, Mr. TRD and his Pokey Posse, within about a half hour, I got a call from a fellow toy guy who I have never met, and he told me he may know where there is one I might be able to get my hands on. Once again thanks guys, and If someone else knows where there may be one PM me and let me know PLEASE!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks

Just want to say thanks to Mr. TRD for hooking me up with the right t-case. I just met up with Eric and bought him lunch for delivering the top shift case and tranny. (He said I had to take the tranny) Anyway Thanks again man I really appreciate your help and if there is anything I can ever help you guys out with don't hesitate to hollar.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah man everything seems to be fine, I clearenced the crossmember Sat. and I think I still have a problem, I may have to pull it out one more time and do some grinding on the main input shaft on the rear case, apperently 79-80 case are different and you have to grind down the splines on the shaft?? I don't know, but I test dronve it the other night, and the gears are bad ass, definetly worth the money!! I think I know just about everything there is to know about toy t-cases now. Marlins' directions were a little vague, but I think I got it figured out.

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I pulled the whole thing apart again last night, this has really been a learning experience! I found out that the case I got from Shaw was a 79-80 top shift case and on those you have to grind down the input shaft so it will slide all the way into the Marlin coupler. I did this yesterday, and what a difference, it shifts smooth, and no bind in 2-3 gears, before it was like I had the e-brake on! I didn't hurt anything luckily, and it all seems to be just peachy. I still have to finish the crossmember, but it should be O.K. for this weekend. Man I love the gear reduction now, and even though the carb still sucks a$$, you can go slow enough to keep the fuel happy! Should be pretty killer on the rocks. Thanks again to Steve at C.B.I. and Mr. TRD, and my neighbor Pat for the help.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts