Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anybody be interested in a weekend camping trip out to craters of the moon national park? This would be a sightseeing trip, not a wheeling trip. Jen and I were planning on headed out some friday after work to get a spot, and then bike the park.

http://www.nps.gov/crmo/pphtml/camping.html

We did a quick drive through in may and were really impressed with what we saw. There are supposedly some caves that we did not get to check out and a lot of hiking/biking trails that we did not have time to walk through.

Anybody interested?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Friday the 25th?

Depending on what's going on I may be interested...

I don't have a bike and haven't riden one in 6 or 7 years though.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Friday the 25th?

Depending on what's going on I may be interested...

I don't have a bike and haven't riden one in 6 or 7 years though. Ok to bring the dog?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
according to the website pets are not allowed on the hiking trails, or to be left unattended.

We're not firm on what we're going to be doing when we get there. THeres a trail called goodales cutoff that can be biked, but i'm not sure of the length. The rest are hiking trails that bikes are not allowed on so I imagine most of the trip would be driving and hiking.

We were thinking of headed out this upcoming weekend, leave friday night, explore saturday, and either head back sunday morning or look around some more and head back later in the afternoon.

According to the site there are no wood fires allowed, but they do have charcoal grilles. Camping is 10 bucks a night, first come first served, and
I believe it's 8 bucks a vehicle to drive, 4 bucks for bikes.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Take a ton of water. there is not cover from the sun, Unless your out in the Lava tubes. If you have never been it is a definite must see. You would not want to take your dog even if the did allow it, you will understand when you get there and see the path and terrian. Wish I could make that trip with ya but I'm booked sold till mid september.

·
Registered
303 Posts
i stop there last june on my way back from idahofalls and it is really cool, i would like to go back but im getting married that saturday the 26th

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
sounds fun, maybe.
Mama's always wanted to go there.

And if not wheeling, could take the Kia, and save a little $$$ cash wise.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
the trip is done and it was a lot of fun. Lots of hiking but the weather was decent and kept things nice. That place is crazy, it's hard to describe what the rock formations look like and what stresses must have gone on to make it look like that. Picture quality varies a little bit, the glare got pretty bad in the afternoon and the camera wasn't the greatest, but cameras don't really capture the enormity of the area very well anyways

Attachments

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
more

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
more

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
the last of them.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Glad you guys had fun. Sandy and I went there back in 2001. Very cool place. A lot of walking though. Did you go down into the caves? It's usually 20 deg cooler down there and you get to do some climbing.

·
Registered
940 Posts
So Dave,

Were you looking at those rock formations as the beauty of nature or something to put a wheel up on?

Does look like a nice place to visit.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I was thinking about that greg, but those rocks are nassssty. I don't thing even a swamper would hold up on them.

We did check out a couple of the caves, they were pretty badass. Fun weekend.

Heres a couple more I took, played around with them on the computer to come up with a panorama shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts