Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the help of JoshH, the XJ has been resurrected yet again. After breaking two rear axle shaft within a matter of months on the XJ, a new rear axle has been installed.

A couple of weeks ago, Josh and I replaced the weak D35 with an Isuzu 12 bolt Trooper axle. The axle came factory with 4.56 gears and disc brakes. The swap was almost seamless, all that had to be done was move the perches, move the shock mounts, swap the brake lines from the right to the left, and hook up the park brake cables that almost perfectly fit. The swap was extremely easy, and the Isuzu axle has prettly large axle shafts and gears. Josh welded up the diff and we were good to go. The best part was that I scored this axle for $75.

We do have to put on some 2 inch spacers per side to get the track width right, but that was about $75.

So as of right now, I am $150 dollars into an stronger and better rear axle.:thumb:

We also installed the front gears into the D30 this weekend. Got a brand new Spicer kit off ebay for around $175. It took a little frustration to get them set up correctly, but the pattern we ended up with was priceless. Plus we had to replace one lower ball joint that was pretty loose, cost was $30.

So, hopefully the XJ will be a little more competent in the wheeling department for a while. I still need to finish converting the front axle to six lug, but I have some ideas on that, and hopefully it works out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Okay, here are some pictures of the gear install and pattern check.

Picture 1-empty housing
Picture 2-making setup bearings
Picture 3-drive side pattern
Picture 4-coast side pattern

xj 001 (Medium).jpg

xj 002 (Medium).jpg

xj 007 (Medium).jpg

xj 008 (Medium).jpg

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
What are you using for marking compund? I've been using that yellow junk mixed with gear oil.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Chris did that carrier work out for you or did you have to get another one?

·
Registered
346 Posts
With the help of JoshH, the XJ has been resurrected yet again. After breaking two rear axle shaft within a matter of months on the XJ, a new rear axle has been installed.

A couple of weeks ago, Josh and I replaced the weak D35 with an Isuzu 12 bolt Trooper axle. The axle came factory with 4.56 gears and disc brakes. The swap was almost seamless, all that had to be done was move the perches, move the shock mounts, swap the brake lines from the right to the left, and hook up the park brake cables that almost perfectly fit. The swap was extremely easy, and the Isuzu axle has prettly large axle shafts and gears. Josh welded up the diff and we were good to go. The best part was that I scored this axle for $75.

We do have to put on some 2 inch spacers per side to get the track width right, but that was about $75.

So as of right now, I am $150 dollars into an stronger and better rear axle.:thumb:

We also installed the front gears into the D30 this weekend. Got a brand new Spicer kit off ebay for around $175. It took a little frustration to get them set up correctly, but the pattern we ended up with was priceless. Plus we had to replace one lower ball joint that was pretty loose, cost was $30.

So, hopefully the XJ will be a little more competent in the wheeling department for a while. I still need to finish converting the front axle to six lug, but I have some ideas on that, and hopefully it works out.
That is a lot better then the $1100 my Dana 44 set up cost. $250 for the axle $850 for Gears and Detroit. Luckily my nephew built it for free. I am happy with it though, but with that much saved Chris now you can throw in a teralow:drool:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a lot better then the $1100 my Dana 44 set up cost. $250 for the axle $850 for Gears and Detroit. Luckily my nephew built it for free. I am happy with it though, but with that much saved Chris now you can throw in a teralow:drool:
Hmmm, I was thinking more of a 231 doubler kit. I have all the stuff to do it, but I will have to see how the XJ works now. I had plenty of power with 35's and 3.55 gears, now with a lower gear set I should be okay for a while, I hope.

My crawl ratio is 38.27:1 in low range right now with an automatic, so if you figure that in, I would be around 76.5:1 with max torque multiplication in the converter.

I figured the money saved on the axle and gears for the rear would pay for the ARB for it someday. That is the only downside to the Isuzu axle, the only lockers available are the Lincoln variety and ARB's, plus some Troopers had a factory limited slip.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hmmm, I was thinking more of a 231 doubler kit. I have all the stuff to do it, but I will have to see how the XJ works now. I had plenty of power with 35's and 3.55 gears, now with a lower gear set I should be okay for a while, I hope.

My crawl ratio is 38.27:1 in low range right now with an automatic, so if you figure that in, I would be around 76.5:1 with max torque multiplication in the converter.

I figured the money saved on the axle and gears for the rear would pay for the ARB for it someday. That is the only downside to the Isuzu axle, the only lockers available are the Lincoln variety and ARB's, plus some Troopers had a factory limited slip.
Yeah I think I have the same ratio. I'll be running 35s soon and I have 4.56. I have the 4.0 though. I don't think I would want the doubler though. I have so much weight added to it already the 4.0 doesn't need that extra 100 lbs.
Tony (aka my kid) is just running a trac-lok in the back of his XJ , Detroit front and it did pretty well at the Fun Crawl.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I think I have the same ratio. I'll be running 35s soon and I have 4.56. I have the 4.0 though. I don't think I would want the doubler though. I have so much weight added to it already the 4.0 doesn't need that extra 100 lbs.
Tony (aka my kid) is just running a trac-lok in the back of his XJ , Detroit front and it did pretty well at the Fun Crawl.
The Vortec 4.3 seems to have all the power I need. In fact, it produces more horsepower stock than the stock 5.7 in my Blazer:shocked: :shocked: 4.3 195hp 5.7 180hp

1 - 12 of 12 Posts