Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Well it was a good turn out Chris, Greg, Eric, and 5 others. The council specifically said that we did nothing wrong and it was a misunderstanding on their part. As for the track and Mudbogs they are going to hold a public meeting before instituting a new ordinance. The date of the meeting is TBA. When I find it out it will be posted. We need to get as many people there as possible. Even if your not from Mtn Home. This concerns not only the Mudbogs, but also the Rodeo, Motocross, and all other events.

MY OPINION
Council Members Udiari, Risch, and Mayor Mcneal seem to be 100 % on our side. Councilwomen Isaac I feel is floating and Mark Russel has something up his A**. We have a majority and show we care more than one meeting and continue showing up. Thanks

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thanks for the update Lehi. Could you give us a little more background on what the "new Ordinance" is suppose to cover? Is it a noise thing, a time cut off, horse poop on the road or...:confused:

This thread needs to be front row!

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
I cannot attend meetings but we have the contact emails from the other thread and will show support that way!!! thanks for the update!!!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
I kept myself pretty calm and collected. My main goal was to make sure that the City Council knew that White Knuckle Racing did not host, promote, and in any way profit from this event. The City Council was under the impression (due to Russel the PITA) that White Knuckle held the event which would have been a violation since their park use contract is from May to September I believe. Also, I made sure that they knew we had a safe, fun time with people from all over this great state. And I completely agree with Lehi's opinion, I felt the same way about the Council and the Mayor.

One thing I did notice was that the Council brought up a Memorandum of Understanding with the cheese packaging facility that is being built out past the park. But they seemed very reluctant to go into details about what was all in this MOU....... The Mayor also stated that the City had 3 years to move or lose the facility....... this has gone against what the Mayor told me when I talked him about the facility at the end of October. I also spoke with Tagg that same day back in October, and was given almost the same information. Previously my understanding was that the City had up to 2 years to rebuild the Mud Race track and the Circle Track that were out there, and that the Motocross track, Soft Ball fields, BMX Track, and Rodeo Arena were staying as is.

I am unsure of how to get a copy of this Memorandum of Understanding regarding Marathon Cheese and the City of Mountain Home. I would like to see what the actual deal was that the City made with them. I am thinking that maybe contacting Marathon Cheese about keeping the park alive wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The worst part about this is that this park is finally diversifying and gaining support and respect after 10 years of hard work by White Knuckle Racing, Tony's Bicycle Shop, Parks and Rec, and many other individuals and organizations, and now it seems to be slipping away a little at a time.

Maybe we all need to call or write the:

Mayor of MH
MH City Council
Mountain Home News (our local paper)
Marathon Cheese

and let them all know that we want this facility to stay around. You might even ask for a response from each one so we know for sure that they have at the least read it.

Alright, I am off my soapbox now :popcorn:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
BadDawg said:
Thanks for the update Lehi. Could you give us a little more background on what the "new Ordinance" is suppose to cover? Is it a noise thing, a time cut off, horse poop on the road or...:confused:

This thread needs to be front row!

From what I understand, the new ordinance will contain policies and procedures for future use of the park. I think the City Council wants to set up some regulations governing who uses it, how it is used, and making sure the City is not held liable for the activities that are held out there. That's about all I know for now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Good points Chris. The ordinance from my understanding will pretty much state that the City Council will have to approve all events before they happen. It will also cover insurance regulations and the city wants it own release of liablity on top of the ones for the organization putting on the event. They also want the release of liablies kept on record by the city. As for the MOU I will go to the city next week and see if I can get a copy. It should be a matter of Public Record. I think eventually we will lose the track no matter how hard we fight due to the city conceding everything to Bring Marathon Cheese to town. It is hard to argue with 500 jobs in the 10 -15 dollar an hour range. Hopefully we can come to an understanding with Marathon but after them You will have Stan Scott building his industrial park there with the rest of the land he owns. He donated part of his land to the city in order to have city services run to the rest of the land. We need to just keep the pressure on and have the support.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Part of the news release:
“We now have three legs to our economy – the Air Force base, agriculture and manufacturing,” McNeal said. “This project gives us an economic boost that will help us accommodate any future developments at the base.”

Elmore County Impact Steering Committee Executive Director Ron Swearingen said the announcement is the biggest economic news since Mountain Home Air Force Base opened more than 50 years ago.

With stuff like that in mind I would have to say that if I was elected to run the city then chosing between bringing in a big company with jobs or the park facility then, let me think about this, um, .....

HOWEVER, a four legged chair is better than a three legged one. By having a first class park like Optimist that offers everything that it does, that also brings in people from all over the state and surrounding states, the city shows that it also cares a great deal about quality of life beyond just being a place to work. Developing Optimist Park should be part of a larger master plan for the city if it isn't already. It shouldn't be an afterthought. If the city can't see this then, as Chris suggested, perhaps Stan Scott and/or Marathon can see it as an opportunity. It would be a shame to see the park become a parking lot for a cheeze factory.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I went to city Hall today to see if I could get a copy of the MOU, but the clerk is on vacation till next week. When I was leaving I ran into Mayor Mcneal who told me he will personally call me when he has a copy done next week. He also explained to me what was in the MOU. The MOU was done by the safety site planners that Marathon Cheese hired. It states that within two years of the factory being built all of the activities at Optimist Park except the Ball Fields will cease to operate. So as we look at this it will be three years from right now. BUT Marathon Cheese's owners (not site planning people) with no influence from the city initiated a proposal for the city to come up with a plan in order to keep everything there. The city is currently working on this proposal and the Mayor said that he will contact us at WWOR to look it over and see if we have any suggestions or ideas. The way the Mayor put it was that Marathon did not want to look bad in the community by shutting down our recreation. He suggested we hold off on contacting Marathon Cheese in a grassroots effort because they are on our side and I agree with him. They are putting forth and effort to be a good community partner and we should be happy with this. The mayor did say if things start not working out then We Should start an grassroots campaign. He is pretty confident in the citys ablity to get a resolution with Marathon that would null and void the MOU.

I agree with the mayor wholeheartedly. We have at least 3-2 majority on the council and probably a 4-1 majority. We need to remember to treat the city and council with respect and not let some of our normal ******* stereotypes show through. But we do need to come out in force just to show them that this issue has alot of COMMUNITY support. Bring your kids and relatives. This issue doesn't just affect me mudding but my 4 yr old nephew will be running motocross next year and hopefully for the next 20 yrs.
Thanks For the Support.:popcorn: :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I forgot to mention a Keypoint the Mayor made. He said it would hurt the city greatly if they had to tear everything down and rebuild it somewhere else. It would cost hundreds of thousands. But he did say if that ever happened which he doesn't forsee THE CITY WOULD REBUILD.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'd want that in writing! lol!
sounds good you guys, I appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this. While I'm not a Mountain Home person, your dedication and willingness to help whatever cause needs it is wonderful and inspirational to the rest of us. If only all our organizations and individuals were this pro-active!:goodjob: :goodjob: Kudos to ya guys!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
:thumb: :bowdown: Good work guys! Sounds like almost all the right people are saying the right things. From what I have heard, the one person that could ruin a good thing for everyone will most likely never come around. Let us know when we need to plan a trip over that way for support, even though we don't vote there.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
What is interesting Darrell is that most of the club members aren't voters either the majority of us live in the county and are ineligible to vote. But we all like to have fun. We'll keep everyone updated and as soon as we have a firm date for the ordinance meeting we'll post it up.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Well, The Mayor called me today and told me that He had a copy ofthe MOU for me at no charge. After reading it; it was exactly what the Mayor had previously told me. I will be bringing it to this months meeting. If you want me post Verbatim the relative parts or your own copy just post up and I will do what I can.
Lehi

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Owyhee Rock Man and I were talking the other day and he had a good suggestion. The local Rotary Club would be a good group for you folks to get connected with for this cause. They are the business owners that have a great deal of influence in what happens in your fair city. Years ago in another lifetime I attended many meetings of the local Rotary Club in my hometown as a school project. They were all very enthusiastic to have guests sit in and talk about issues like this. I would think that Chris, as president of WWOR, would be a very good representive to attend along with Lehi as support.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Thanks for the info Darrell. We will be discussing our exact plan at our meeting. Chris is also working on something else too. I will let him post it up if he wants. But I think we'll be good to go.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts