Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A guy I work with just bought this cherokee. He is wondering if the front axle on it is positioned correctly (see picture). The jeep has a 4-6" RE lift (don't know exactly the height). I think the axle is too far back and that he needs longer control arms. I am just wondering if this is correct. If not, what else could it be.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
looks too far back to me... tell him to give steve a call, he just did something like that for a guy..

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bet someone hacked a TJ short arm kit in. If it works, wheel it. I'd recommend sawzalling the front couple feet off the rig and going from there. Flip the rear springs around and he'll have some pretty good angles.:smokin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are the arms adjustable or fixed? Measure the length of the control arms from the center of the bolts. For that much lift they should be at least 17 1/4 inches apart.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah he needs to look at drop brackets or long arms for that much lift IMO.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Thats Ian Knightoxs old cherokee it has control arms for a 3" lift but has more lift than that to fit those claws on there I dont think they are adjustable because he was talking to me about building new ones for it way back when he got those tires

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
All a person would need to do it cut and length them. Or if you really wanted, get some B7 threaded rod and make them adjustable.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I would say around 6", yes, but 4" isn't too bad for short arms. RE's short arm kit is a 4.5" lift. I ran 6.5" on my ZJ with short arms, but I did put drop brackets on it.

Long arms would be ideal though. Very easy to fab up for a Cherokee too... I would say maybe $300 of materials at most.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yeah I would say that is a little bit too far back; I have an RE 3.5" on mine and the axle is a little back but it has never been a problem.

When it stuffs the control arms tend to push the axle forward as they become more parallel with the ground. Full droop is where you will run into problems with the tires rubbing on the back of the wheel wells, but that really depends on the size of tires that you are running.

I agree with the rest of you, run some drop brackets if you aren't concerned about your breakover angle, or just go to a full on long set up for superior ride and flex.

·
Registered
891 Posts
AH posted this for me.t6This is my rig. I just bought it last week and the repairs has hardly stopped. I am new to jeeps allways been a chevy man. lokking forward to the experience. thanks for all your help, you cofirmed my thoughts. Any good ideas on a long arm kit?

·
Registered
346 Posts
leadfoot said:
Yeah I would say that is a little bit too far back; I have an RE 3.5" on mine and the axle is a little back but it has never been a problem.

When it stuffs the control arms tend to push the axle forward as they become more parallel with the ground. Full droop is where you will run into problems with the tires rubbing on the back of the wheel wells, but that really depends on the size of tires that you are running.

I agree with the rest of you, run some drop brackets if you aren't concerned about your breakover angle, or just go to a full on long set up for superior ride and flex.
Yeah I shaved about and 1.5 off my drop brackets and run 34s so it only catches once in awhile. Drop brackets or long arm will make a world of difference. What size tires are you planning on settling with ? For the time being:rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Did you buy it from Ian, he was always having problems with that thing. Here is a pic of it flexed out, don't know if you have done this or not but as you can see it would be fine to wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah, but look at the pass. side arm. It's almost verticle!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The long arm kit I've heard the best reviews for is the tnt customs kit. www.tntcustoms.com
It doesn't seem to be to much $ either. As far as longarm kits are concerned. Steve over at CBI has built a couple long arms I'm sure he could do it. I saw the Cherokee over there today so I'm probably not telling ya anything he hasn't allready.
But for alot less money could go with the Rubicon Express drop brackets. New with the braces your looking around 350.00 but if your patient you could find a good used set for alot less. I just got a complete used set of brackets and braces for 170.00 shipped. I will be going about 6 to 6.5 on my 97 Cherokee this summer. Just gathering parts for now.
For alot of Cherokee info and learning check out www.naxja.org

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't know Ian. the guy I bought it from was a jeromy, but he said he only had it since jan. probably was though, it sure looks like the same one doesn't it. I was in with steve last night, he had some great ideas and news. I am getting a great deal on a used set. don't remember the brand, but steve seemed confidant in it. By the way guys I am Travis, look forward to meeting ya, maybe on a trail one day.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts