Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cold weather. Around 0 deg F I have some electrical issues. Alternator wont kick on, heater blower doesn’t blow, brake tail lights don’t work, some dash lights don’t function. This is what I’ve noticed so far. My biggest concern is the alt not kicking on, and I’ve tested this, it’s nit just my gauge. I’ve put a multi-meter across it and it reads as if the alt is dead (11-12 volts) I’ve checked fuses, all ok. This only happens when it’s cold and even when the engine warms up to low operating temps. The fix I’ve found to this is to bring it into the garage, set a heater under it and wait a few. Then everything works fine.

Physics tell me the electrical conductivity increases with lower temps, this situation baffles me.

Car is an 89 B2 with a 92 Explorer 4.0L V6. I think thats about it. Has happened before, but now it’s beginning to irritate me. An explanation would be great, a solution would be even better. Thanks

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Dunno. Cold weather does weird things.

I remember it getting cold enough that I couldn't turn the ignition in my Blazer cause the lube in the cylinder froze up. I think it was around -35*

·
Registered
545 Posts
Theory: Cold makes things contract (metal things not just things) Perhaps the cold is causing some connectors to contract and lose contact.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any connections in specific I should direct my attention twoards?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would start with the main harness that goes into your fusebox, possibly has a connection that sandwiches your firewall?

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
I am having a similar issue with my tail lights/ dash lights. I know they are the same circuit but have not been able to get it to work yet. Keep us updated. (tried fuse, connection at the fusebox thus far.)

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
I would take a look at any corrosion in the battery cables of the ford. Not just what you can see, but the bulging wires coming off the battery. If I remeber, there are two main power wires at the battery, and a couple of grounds too. If there is any corrosion, low temps and humidity make the resistance much worse. So make sure your cables are corrosion free inside of them, and make sure the battery terminals are clean. Most of the no start, weird electrical complaints I get that are related to temperature/humidity are fixed at the battery.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
mine has been kind of weird. In the morning sometimes the lights will work when tried but once started they go out. Later in the day they work like normal....... Will continue to look into it but it is frustrating....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Battery and cables should be good, I'm a bit anal about that. Run 0 or 2 GA wire to a blue top optima. I'll recheck again and double check grounds. I've already been through fuses. I'll see what the main wire harness to the cab fuse box looks like. But alternator should not be included in that, fuse for that is located in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
183 Posts
where is that fuse located? im kind of having similer problems my alt. only putting out 11.92 at idle and with the rpms up its at 11.96, had the alt rebuilt twice and a new regulator. also i have no turn singles. i have checked the fuses and grounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts