Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to four-link an 76' Bronco. We are trying to deside on coils or coil-overs. Coils will be quik and easy, but do they require some type of sway-bar. Will the coil-overs as well require a rear or front sway-bar. Which of these ride better on the Bronco. We would like to avoid cutting into the body to mount the coil-overs.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
cage off-road sells progressive rate coils....this is the route i would go...friend has the cage kit on his s-10 with a for hp44 front and has no sway bar....handles fairly well

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The one thing I've notice is folks who go to coilovers on the trail all seem to run a winch front and rear to the axle to snug it down for descents or climbs. Otherwise they seem to release their stored energy all at once.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keeping the leafs in the back would be nice, but he keeps tweek'n the springs,do to lots of power and no traction control. I'd have almost the same amount of time in traction bars as a link system.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The one thing I've notice is folks who go to coilovers on the trail all seem to run a winch front and rear to the axle to snug it down for descents or climbs. Otherwise they seem to release their stored energy all at once.
Using a winch to pull down the front prevents suspension rebound when ascending steep climbs. Any type of suspension can benefit from this practice.

Coils are cheaper as you already stated. Coil-overs allow much more adjustablility and tuneability (is that a word?) Coil-overs combine the coil(s) and shock in one package were with coils you still need shocks to prevent excessive rebound. You dont have to, but if you want to look like a jack in the box bouncing around...Not to mention predictability.

The addition of the shocks adds more brackets and geometery to deal with. Coil-overs add the bling:smokin: This is all stuff you already know.

To answer your question Jason, You do not need to run a sway bar with COs

·
Registered
89 Posts
:cool: Here's the simple answer..... Money and knowledge. Coils are cheap, under $200 pr. Coilovers with dual rates around $500 each. Now the tough part.... knowledge. When you buy coils from anyone of the top Bronco shops you're gettting all the deveolpment time with your part. Most of the "quality" lift springs will work w/o use of swaybars just throw on some shocks and your done. Coilovers require alot more set-up to give the same results. There're soo many things that affect your final set-up like: shock size, mounting, valving, dual rate timing and belive it or not even the brand of shock used.

Both will work w/o sway bars, it's just easy for people to get the ride they're looking for by using sway bars with coilovers instead of spending time and more money to dial them in. A professional opinion, trail/street rig being built at home, stick with the coils. There are several great springs out there. ( Wild Horses- Rockcrawler, BC Broncos, Cage) A tip for leaving leafs out back; use one of the 11 leaf packs out and run/build anti-wrap perches. I've run 39x18 boggers with no wrap bar and the springs are still there.

·
Trail Runner
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Those are all of the answers I was looking for. I'm used to dealing with full-size chevy's,not Fords, so I was unsure with the fact that we would have coils front and rear. Thats why I was wondering about the swaybars. I know that a good start for the Chevy, are the front,3" coils from an XJ. That normally will handle the weight and have great flex and not to mention the ride. so what do you guys recommend for the rear of a Bronco with 35's and I want to say a 5.5" lift?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts