Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

What is the best route to take?

• Leave the 63's, add shocks, weld it all in.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • Build a 4 link, bolt in the coilovers.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Forget the rear, link the front!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Let it all collect dust.

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a pretty die hard fan of leaf springs. I currently have 63" long chevy springs in a 5" lift application for a 88-98 chevy. As seen in the pictures they flex fairly well (not quite maxed out).

Im trying to decide on what to do next. I have not built drivelines, shock mounts, or even welded the spring perches on.

This all pertains to my rear suspension.

These are currently laying on my living room floor.
Attached Images

Comments, suggestions, opinions very welcome!

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
can i vote for leave the 63s AND build a 4 link and bolt em in....

except link and bolt them in my rig :D

really though, why not use em on the yota. i'm sure they dont work well as a dining room coffee table. :thumb:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Use the leafs. Sell the shocks to me. Seriously.

It would be bling to have the coil-overs but by the time you build the four link, built mounts and tabs for the shocks. Cut sheetmetal to accomodate shocks, get the correct coils,get rebuild kits for the shocks, (they look well used),etc. You will have spena lt about four times the money for a little bling and only a marginal upgrade from leafs. Leafs work well. I am no expert by any means but.I have been down that road. I am not saying don't do it and I know that you have the talent to do a four link but I don't know if you will see the performance payback. Give me a call and I can tell you what I do know about coil-overs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I second Triple T...except for the part about selling them to him, because I want them.

Seriously though, if you are a fan of leaf springs and your rig performs the way you want it to, why change? If you are looking to increase flex, reduce spring wrap, or some other improvement from having a link suspension, then do it. But otherwise there would be alot of money and effort spent that would negate the good deal you got on coilovers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That is a nice toy you have! As for the link vs spring I would have to agree with spinach and triple t advice. I am in the same boat on whether or not to link or stick with leaves it all comes down to what you can and can't live with and what your willing to spend. If you do link it good luck and post the picts

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
where's the poll for the coilovers belong to me and you should just link the whole damn thing!!!

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Its time to go wheeling. Get it done the way it is and start collecting parts for the link suspension and then next year go ahead and link it. Theres so many things you can change on your rig that sometimes you just have to say ok this is enough for now lets go wheeling

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's more info on why i want to do it. I still havent figured a good way to mount regular shocks on the back, that wont limit flex, or keep them mounted upright. Very limited room axle to bed floor....they would look like this/\ at about 45 degree angle. Most likely I will mount regular shocks, or the coilovers in the same fashion. up throught the bed floor to a hoop. they only need up about 6". I have not even begun to deal with the axle wrap. these leafs are very soft, have 3 leaves, no overload, no traction bars. Here soon my crawl ratio will jump to roughly 228:1.

Things I want to gain....
Eliminate the axle wrap factor.
Increase flex....Its about 1000 on a 23 degree ramp now

The hard part I know....will be
Trial and error for spring rate, and shock valving.

For the amount of work involved the shock mounting will be the same leafs or coils, Building the 4 link wont be a lot more work than just traction bars.

Ok....Im done....I expect more responses:thumb:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Flex is good and all, but you can get by without massive amounts. A person could build a rig that could max a 30* ramp, yet be worthless on the trail. It's all about balance.... flex, stability, COG, etc.

Shoot... look at Lehi's burb... and that does fine on the trails.

I think you'd have a hard time to balance the rig out with leaves in the front and a 4 link w/coilovers in the front, though I've never driven a rig that was setup that way.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
The inboarded shocks work pretty well in Toy applications I think they would do just as good on yours even though you may have some more weight. You can also get away with alot shorter shocks on the back when they are angled.

IMHO a traction bar is a ton less work than a link suspension. If I had someone ask me to build a traction bar I would say it would take one day. But the answer would be different for a link suspension.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its time to go wheeling. Get it done the way it is and start collecting parts for the link suspension and then next year go ahead and link it. Theres so many things you can change on your rig that sometimes you just have to say ok this is enough for now lets go wheeling

I enjoy building it more than wheeling, when im done Ill just move on to another project more or less. Ill wheel it some, but my main hobby is building not driving.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I enjoy building it more than wheeling, when im done Ill just move on to another project more or less. Ill wheel it some, but my main hobby is building not driving.

I need friends like you :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I would much rather wheel than build. Unfortunately.........it seems like Im always wrenching

:drive:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My friends tend to benefit from it. When I have time, its pretty easy to get me to help. On larger projects and fabrication I charge, but its still not much.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Leafs are hard to beat for low speed rock crawling. They are cheap, simple, have better ground clearance, and a good set will flex just right without risk of flexing too much and getting a tire stuck in a hole or pushing the front off a steep wall.

Coils and links are better when there is little traction. They respond quicker and keep the axle under control better. This means less wheel hop and more grip when, say, climbing wet rocks or rutted muddy hills or when the incline is to steep to crawl slow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts