Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup the litter crew sign, pulled away from it pretty hard and heard a Thump.

LAter find no speed sensor and it's starting to howl.

Pulled it apart and the bearing journal is busted clean off.

I threw my open carrier back in for the time being. Thanks Chris for giving me a hand.

Anyhow, truck is 98% street driven, the other 2% is dirt roads. I drive sane for the most part. I did 1 small burn out (gotta test that Bowman transmission :thumb:) and 1 sled pull... that's it.

Not running crazy power either.

I think it was a bad casting. It looks just like when you break a China Freight tool. So much for the "unbreakable, bulletproof" Detroit huh?
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
How about a poor set up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it was a bad setup the R&P or bearings would be showing issues before the carrier would do something like that I'd think. Setup was done almost 2 years ago, about 20,000-25,000 miles on it and everything has been A-ok.

I even re-used the bearings off the Detroit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Were the main caps tight? If it is that old then yes chances are it was something in the detroit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup they were tight. Everything in the diff was fine other than the bearing journal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks like a very rough casting!

I wonder if they are making the lockers in the factory next door to Harbor Freight? :darn:
 

·
Wrench Wench
Joined
·
6,190 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top