Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...it's time to decide. I've got a 83 CJ7. What do I want to do, a spring over with YJ springs or a shackle reversal w/beefy stock springs?
Post up... Let the opinions fly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I run soa with front waggy springs on both ends. How big do you want to go with the CJ? DD....weekend warrior....trailer queen?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Totally depends on what you want to do. Off road rock climbing machine spring over, done right these can get spendy. Done wrong and you will greatly dislike your ride. I would hate to cut up your CJ but would certainly be willing to help you trim to fit bigger tires with just a shackle reversal. Or mabey a combo of both SR and a spring under lift. Talk to Josh Pettit he has a spring over on his CJ go for a ride if you can with him (his dad is Mark Pettit) then give Dan a call(spring under lift with a SR) and go for a ride with him. See witch one you like better. IMHO I think you would probably be happier with a SR and spring under lift

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks for all the input. After doing a bit of resurch around the web and with your input I'm shying away from the SOA. Sounds to agressive for me. Looks like done right it can quite nice but there seems to be alot more to it than moving some springs. If i understand the SOA it gives 5 or more inches lift and that's to much for me.

Thanks for the posts and now I'll be looking for the SA and better springs. I jsut don't want to be breaking shackles and bending springs. Not that it ever happens.... :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
SOA with YJ springs will warrent you 4-4.5" of lift.

The ride quality will make that seem like a cadi compared to stock.

You will not be happy with the ride if you go with lifted stock CJ springs!

A spoa with stock YJ's will fit 33's very nice, and it will have a ton of flex and a very nice ride.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I first went with a spring under 4" lift for my cj-5 after driving it for one week I ordered a shackle reversal kit. No regrets on the shackle reversal at all. Still regret the Pro-comp lift, it rides way too harsh.

Now that I am wanting to take my cj to the next level I am going spring over with waggy and XJ springs on full width axles. Even with free springs the steering setup will cost me as much as my original lift.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Owyhee Rock Man said:
Do yourself a favor and do the shackle reversal too. Better trail handling and waaaay beter road manners. Everyone we have ever done that for raves about it!

BOOOO

HATED THE SRS. HATED IT. I bought the MORE shackle reversal with buggy springs on the front. Hated the buggy springs most. Hated the SRS second most. Realistic wheeling characteristics were trash. I went so far to go back to shackle forward.

Caster changed so fast, so dramatically that it would throw itself into death wobble changing lanes on the freeway. Driveshafts were both pulling apart and over compressing off road. Front suspension would unload under the center of gravity instead of when you first approached an obstacle which tossed the rig dramatically. That was all before the spring over.
It was a very scary setup offroad when I went spring over. Way too unpredictable.

Since I changed it back I have been very happy. Driveshaft stays together with a common Spicer 7" slip. I have not had any trouble with the suspension unloading while halfway on an obstacle and the caster does not change dramatically. The shackle forward setup is far more predictable.

I know it is one of those preference debates, and most other rigs run shackles under the middle of the rig. Perhaps it is wheelbase, perhaps I am just quirky. That is just my two cents on SRS.

FYI - the stock rear CJ springs are really good springs, and are used very commonly for SOA ( YJs, CJs and other vehicles like sammys too). They are the wider width (same as YJ) and have a very comfortable spring rate. They are also very durable and hold up well in SOA setup.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Nate, Im with you....Im not a big fan of the Shackle reversal because of the ammount of brake dive you get on a short wheelbase rig. For a longer wheelbase its fine, but Zuks and CJ's are in the same short wheelbase family...

I had to do a Shackle reversal on Ambers rig, but that was due to the leaf springs I used. The 7" offset pin didnt like the shackles in the front :D

Her rig is 86-87" wheelbase, and will nose dive bad if you have to jump on the brakes!

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I know this was on a sami but I have a different opinion than grip I had both spoa and spoa with sr loved the sr. With a spring over it does take more work to get it right. Off the shelf kits are mass produced for a type of vehicle that will work alright in a variaty of applications. It takes alot of figuring out and some trail and error to set up a sr truly correct and yes you usaully need a long travel driveshaft. That being said what I wheel I prefer the shackle to be in the front in rockcrawling but that is it the shackle in the back rules in sand, road driving, trail running high speed dirt road and mud.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Not to start a this VS that war -

Some first hand experience.

My 1955 Willys CJ-5 came factory with the shackles in the back. In fact I believe that the 55 is the only year a civilian round fender jeep was produced that way. I had heard all the negatives. My buddy had a '56 the only diffences in our jeeps was that I had a EFI V8 ,he had a turbo charged 3.8
Mine had the shackels in the rear of the front springs and his were in the front. Both SOA with Alcan springs. On waggy 44's f/r, manual trans, blah blah almost identical.

Mine - Road manners were WAY better. I could drive 75 with 36" swampers (used to be my daily driver) with one hand on the wheel.

His - Liked to wander and you had to pay attention.

Mine -On steep waterfall climbs the front would move back and would hop and bounce me away from wall.

His - Front end would pull forward. In fact so much so that he would pull his front driveshaft apart and needed a long spline DS.

Some glaring examples of the differences: was rocker knocker in Pritchett canyon Moab. He walked it. I had to take a strap.

He could drive at a scary 55 tops. I could comfortably go 75.:drive:

Mine - nose up to obstacles and slide over.

His - nose up to obstacle shackle pushed back and bent spring.

On the shackle reversal take a pen or pencil and push it along your desk by the point. notice how it wants to wander? that is the same with a NON SRS. Now take said pencil and pull along your desk by the point. Notice how it follows along? same as a SRS. This is why the track better on the road.

IMHO do the YJ spring SOA. Like mentioned above the ride is SO much smoother. Just do it right and have anti axle rap bar. pay attention to your steering. I have (actually my wife) a 1970 commando with lifted stock springs and I HATE the ride. It is like riding in a hay wagon.

It is a jeep after all and once you spend one dollar modifying the suspension you will spend one thousand plus. Do it right the first time. I have been there. :thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WOW!! My head getting full........ T your very persuasive. So how do I build it so I can drive to Moab at 75 and walk rocker knocker? Oh yea and not spend 1k .. :cool:

thanks for the help. This is harder than I thought :confused:

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know your getting a ton of info here and thats great. Take what makes the most sense and do what you think is right in the long run. There is a lot of years of experience in here and its a great source.

I have a 78 CJ-7 with a spring over that I did about 5 years ago. I took a superlift 2.5 inch lift and pulled one spring out of it then did the spring over. I still have the shackles in front and have read a lot from people both ways and am still not sure if I should move the shackles back or not. Road ability is by far better with the shackle reversed and in some instances there is benifit off road as well. Like Triple T was saying under compression the axle will move forward in the front location and backwards in the rear. If you go in the rear make sure that when the spring compresses you have room for the tire to clear you fender. I think in the long run I will leave mine the way it is, I dont drive on the highway much, with it some of the other mods that I have done it makes highway driving difficult anyway. With the one spring removed I have good travel and the ride is excellent. Specially with about 10 lbs of air in the tires.

One thing you might consider that was mentioned earlier is that I have seen Jeeps with the reverse shackles slam on the brakes and the tire doesnt have enough room to clear the fender it binds up on the fender and will give new meaning to out of control.

Anyway good luck, If you want to see how mine is set up you can take a look. I am sure most of the others would let you see their set ups also.

·
Registered
668 Posts
By the way moving the spring to the top of the axles will clear up a major hang up point with the spring plates and u bolts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Im new here but have owned and built several jeeps I would for sure do a spring over but dont just use the stock yj springs use 2.5 lift springs or buy the rubicon express full leght add a leaf other wise you will be repalcing the leaf springs every other time out. the axle wrap will be so bad .Or build traction bars . theres me two bits ,and do the shackel reversal its cheap if you use the stock parts just cut them off and flip them end for end .And if done right it cant be beat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts