Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if a power steering box & pump from a 85 Cherokee will work in a 83 CJ7 (without much retro-fitting). Found one laying around today and want to stick it in my rig if it's not going to be to difficult.

BTW- the rest of the Cherokee is up for parting out in a junk yard in Rigby. Has had a car drooped on it and the engine (4cyl) is a bit worn out but the trany and running gear is ok (except where we torched the steering box off:)

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Box will mount up okay, but check the spline count and dia of the steering shaft. Some were 3/4", and some were 13/16". Not sure on the pump, but the CJ used a Chevy common style pump.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.... So this isn't going to be easy... <frown> Sounds like using as much of the FSJ's parts as I can will be best but will need empty my pockets even more.... Is there an easier approach? We were lazy and cut out the parts from the FSJ's so the shaft and drag link are toast.

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey... I think I can do this. Thanks for the help. Stay tuned, I'll get back to you if (when :) I need help.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If this stops working out for some reason, don't forget all the Saginaw boxes out there in junkyard GM vehicles. You know, just if you find yourself needing to change plans. I know I've read a handful of CJ power steering upgrade articles...either online or in JP Magazine, so there's info out there. This would be useful only if, of course, your current direction begins sucking wind.

Keep us up on what you do, and good luck man.

-Mikey-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts