Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new to the site. Did anyone ever think about making custom springs using leaves from their OEM springs and using short and long add-a-leafs or spring packs from the junkyard? Never really heard any one doing this except for Roger Brown mixing Toyota and Mazda leaves together.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
hi

welcome to our site. this is off the subject but i see you are from germany, i am headed there next summer for a month!! is there good wheeling there?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not from Germany. I just work here for now with the US government. Originally I'm from Jersey and Pennsylvania. As far as the wheeling goes, it's actually illegal in most areas. Up north wheelin is pretty big so there is more areas. Also, if you befriend the forest meister (german for ranger) he'll tell you to stay on the logging trails. But don't get me wrong, there is always new logging trails being made and they can get pretty sick. Also since I work for the government I get to take my 4Runner out into the training areas every so often. You just got to know where to go basically.
So where you headed?

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I have done this but I mixed springs from stock packs to get the desired spring rate if you use add a leaves especially a combination of them I think it would tend to get stiff really fast also add a leaves will make the overall length of the spring a little shorter which could make your shackle angle such that it would not be condusive to wheeling. :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Yep! The Toy and Mazda spring combo works well. I have done this quite a bit, the trick is getting the staggering, the taper on the ends and the spring rate, since you don't really know what the "stock" springs are, you can pretty much go by feel, and trial and error. The key is to starts with a good main leaf, and a good spring pack and go from there. Also remember that friction between two springs plays a large roll in how much they are going to flex, so don't be afraid of grafite, or a grafite paint if you want to paint them. Alot of good spring companies put a teflon spacer at the ends of a spring to reduce the friction as well. It is pretty much trial and error, so good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what year mazda works well?

·
Registered
148 Posts
cheap springs.....

I have had so many spring setups under my truck, and there is many ways to go. I am all about cheap and used parts. The mazda swap was good for a long time, the stock springs are about 48" and the mazda's are 56". You need to cut off the front mount and move it foreward or make new ones, but if your going to do this, you might as well do the chevy swap. I just did a version of this and it is great. Just get some late model 63" 2or4wd springs, make or buy some front mounts, figure out what you want for shackles and your done. It was easy, cheap and the ride and flex is great!!! Consider using your rears in combo with some others up front also, this moves your axle foreward a bit so that you don't have as much tire grab on the inner fenders. You'll need to do the x-over stearing though.
Good luck,
Toytech

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. Unfortunately, it's hard finding parts in the junkyards in Germany. And shipping lift kits from the states means I have to go to the airport myself pick it up and pay a customs fee. I'll keep looking for Mazda springs. What about using landcruiser springs? Those are abundant here. Anyone ever try these?

·
Registered
15 Posts
stock LC springs should work out ok never done it but they will work. i would try a block in the rear and toy rears or LC up front for now until you come back to the states.

then swap the rear out witht he some 88-94 2wd 1/2 63 springs and then youll be set.

·
Registered
213 Posts
u can just take one of the leafs out the 2nd one with the half military wrap and then watch that bad boy flex thats what i did at first but after a couple months of hard wheeling they started to get a negitive arch but they flexed pretty good try it its free and u dont need extra parts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts