Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went up to centerville thurs. night and spoke with a couple guys about building a track up there.

mark...toy yoda
caleb...chevyhagan

They have the land, plenty of nearby water, and room for everything, even camping.

They want to do more than just mud, but thats where it will start.

We picked out a pretty good location to be dozed and dug, then pits can be filled with dirt.

Questions

Length of pit, I want opinions on the track being longer, side by side, and possibly 400+feet, is this good or bad?

Also, would people be willing to travel up there to race, It took me an hour from boise, (edwards area) driving a little over the speed limit, and bouncing the camaro down the dirt road.

This is not being done to profit, just have a good time and recoup operating costs.

So have at it with questions and comments and suggestions!!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I went up to centerville thurs. night and spoke with a couple guys about building a track up there.

mark...toy yoda
caleb...chevyhagan

They have the land, plenty of nearby water, and room for everything, even camping.

They want to do more than just mud, but thats where it will start.

We picked out a pretty good location to be dozed and dug, then pits can be filled with dirt.

Questions

Length of pit, I want opinions on the track being longer, side by side, and possibly 400+feet, is this good or bad?

Also, would people be willing to travel up there to race, It took me an hour from boise, (edwards area) driving a little over the speed limit, and bouncing the camaro down the dirt road.

This is not being done to profit, just have a good time and recoup operating costs.

So have at it with questions and comments and suggestions!!!
I don't mud, but I do spend alot of time in that area and the locals, fulltime residents refer to anyone from down in the valley as flatlanders and feel invaded upon by any ideas we impose on them. I would defintely get some of them involved. The Sheriff's give them priority over part time owners. Just something to keep in mind. If this guy who owns the property is there year round and knows everyone he has probably spoke to some of the other locals already. They could use a little excitement up there for sure.:popcorn:

·
Registered
668 Posts
400 feet is really long. The track at Pleasant Valley is 175 feet which is considered long for mud racing/bogging. Side by side is good. I think the crowd likes to see racing side by side better even though it is usaully for time. I dont think a hour is to far for racers but maybe a little out of the way for spectators. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I agree that 400' is a bit long. how deep are they considering making the pits? Something to keep in mind is as the race day progresses the mud usually gets pushed toward the end making the end of the pits deeper then when started. If the pit is too long and deep the smaller rigs tend to get stuck more and you end up spending the day pulling them out instead of racing.

Side by side is the way to go for the spectators and racers for that matter. If there isn't enough trucks then you can come up with a run off or something like that to lengthen the day.

Shoot, an hour would be close!!

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mud, but I do spend alot of time in that area and the locals, fulltime residents refer to anyone from down in the valley as flatlanders and feel invaded upon by any ideas we impose on them. I would defintely get some of them involved. The Sheriff's give them priority over part time owners. Just something to keep in mind. If this guy who owns the property is there year round and knows everyone he has probably spoke to some of the other locals already. They could use a little excitement up there for sure.:popcorn:

Ok the guys building the track are locals...live (year round) within a 1/4 mile of where the track will (already started) be built. These were directly ideas of the centerville residents, nothing imposed from the valley.

So nothin to worry bout there....

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark....

I agree that 400' is a bit long. The thought behind the longer pit, was its over so fast, but im also concerned about the smaller trucks losing momentum and not being able to go the distance.

How deep are they considering making the pits? The base for the area is an old gravel quarry, sand and rock, dirt will be hauled in. I told them the pits at pleasant valley were 18", but the water is going to drain out the bottom very quickly. Hopefully we can plan a test day, before any races to get the bugs out of the pit.

If there isn't enough trucks then you can come up with a run off or something like that to lengthen the day. Adding more runs is an easy way to lengthen the day.

The first race at the track most likely will be a very low cost event, for the racers and spectators, just enough to pay for the fuel and operating costs.

I dont know on payback or trophys since the first race will be to get the word out and let racers find out what its like up there for cheap.

We talked of putting the race on a sat or sun, being an early afternoon race due to no lights. No date chosen yet.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Mark....

I agree that 400' is a bit long. The thought behind the longer pit, was its over so fast, but im also concerned about the smaller trucks losing momentum and not being able to go the distance.
The longest mud track we have raced in was 200' and it was considered long. It was a "speed" pit, which means it was built like PV's pit (18" - 24"). Most rigs in the lower classes got stuck or took the length of a coffee break to make it through. If the pit is too long remember what the rigs' engines and drive train are going through. Something longer than 200' will distroy a lot of rigs the first pass through!

How deep are they considering making the pits? The base for the area is an old gravel quarry, sand and rock, dirt will be hauled in. I told them the pits at pleasant valley were 18", but the water is going to drain out the bottom very quickly. Hopefully we can plan a test day, before any races to get the bugs out of the pit.
Sand and rock for a base is BAD! I know it may be too much for the Centerville group to handle, but, our friends who ran the Starkey 4x4 club used "sheeting" to lay down before they put the sand down for their sand drag track. I think it may have been the same stuff they use when they build highways. Something like this could be considered to keep the water from draining away. Also, if sheeting can't be used I would suggest a LOT of dirt be brought in so we don't get down into the rocks. Rocks are bad, very bad! Besides tearing up tires they are picked up and thrown a long way and with high velocity.

If there isn't enough trucks then you can come up with a run off or something like that to lengthen the day. Adding more runs is an easy way to lengthen the day.
More runs is good!

The first race at the track most likely will be a very low cost event, for the racers and spectators, just enough to pay for the fuel and operating costs.

I dont know on payback or trophys since the first race will be to get the word out and let racers find out what its like up there for cheap.

We talked of putting the race on a sat or sun, being an early afternoon race due to no lights. No date chosen yet.
We might be interested.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Do they have an idea when they might be ready for their first race? With the temps they way they have been an afternoon race could get warm.

The PV rules are fairly close to what Soda and Kimberly are using. Plus I imagine Weiser will be using the PV rules again. It would keep thing simple using rules that people are familiar with.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do they have an idea when they might be ready for their first race? With the temps they way they have been an afternoon race could get warm. It really depends on when the track is ready, it may be later in the year, just dont know yet. Het is a factor but it is usually cooler up there.

The PV rules are fairly close to what Soda and Kimberly are using. Plus I imagine Weiser will be using the PV rules again. It would keep thing simple using rules that people are familiar with.

yup my thinkin too.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Around here, we typically do either Bogs or "Pit" racing where it's several feet deep, or "Fast TracK" drags where all they do is disc the ground & wet it. But, we occasionally do some "speed pits" similar to your 18-24" deep ones. A lot of guys like that depth because you throw a lot of mud, but at the same time very few trucks get stuck (pulling 100 trucks backwards really kills the show).

Regardless, I've never heard of anyone attempting a 400' track or pit of any kind. It's really way too long. In the old days, 250-300' tracks were common, nowadays 200' is considered very long. NMRO is running 160' for all their tracks this season, with several hundred feet of shutdown beyond that. And that's the other thing to consider - you need at LEAST double the length of the track for shutdown, so keep that in mind as well.

And yes, regardless of whether it's timed or elimination style racing, if you have room to run side-by-side, it makes for a WAY better show for the spectators IMO.

TEX

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
TEX is right! The shut down should be at least 2X the length of the pits. In Sand drags we run 3X for shut down. Years ago we watched a friend (some may remember him - Adam Geis) with a buggie in either Pro Mud or Open have his gas peddle stick after his run and ran into the cable surrounding a rodeo arena we were racing in and came close to getting his head cut off! The cable caught his helmet and ripped it off and broke his nose in the process. I have run into the parking lot at the end of the track in Mountain Home more than once. NOT FUN!

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The shutdown area is something i have stressed, if there isnt enough shutdown, its easy enough to doze out more land to make it.

Im hoping for about 200 of mud, with 400-500 shutdown. But im not running the dozer either.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Ok the guys building the track are locals...live (year round) within a 1/4 mile of where the track will (already started) be built. These were directly ideas of the centerville residents, nothing imposed from the valley.

So nothin to worry bout there....
Cool , Where about in Centerville will that be ? Is it down by the Creek somewhere ? Could make a Rock Course too :idea:

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There is interest in a tough truck, obstacle type course, but the interest in the mud racing will help fuel the expansion. Rocks would be harder to do, the area is dirt, sand, river rock, etc.... not much for bigger rocks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts