Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The real question is, do I need to un-bolt the hydro ram from the tie-rod? Or, will leaving it attached damage the hydro system? I know linkage is not neccessary as it tracks & turns based on the castor angle of the axle. My only concern is damaging the hydro system. Thanks!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was finally able to hook it up and experiment.

Because I am running a single-ended ram, the hydraulic resistence was not balanced left to right. It turned left just fine, but required too much force to turn back right.

So, I unbolted the ram from the tie-rod and it works great :thumb: It tracked and turned perfectly. Bolting it back up only took seconds.

Perhaps if you were running a balanced double-ended ram, it would -flat-tow okay. I'll never know, because I'll have a trailer by then.... someday.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
what type of nuts are you using on the bolts? If nylocks you will want to replace them each time you take them on or off. If your using something with a cotter pin cary new cotter pins in the glove box and dont re-use the old ones :thumb:

BTW nice tow bar :finger:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think you'd wanna be more concerned with wearing out your tread over anything else.... 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts