Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, last time I was in Moab, This guy had taken a gooseneck trailor, stuck a slide in camper on the front and set up a cover, hookups and tool boxes and I though it was great. It rained one day and we were 3 feet in the air on a deck under a roof drinking beer. I had to have a setup like this.

So, I kept my eyes open.

I ended up running across a wrecked 5th wheel one day. It had rolled on the freeway and the top was taken off. I bought the remains for $425. What I got has an 8 foot overhang and a 24 foor deck. The frame on the deck is 10" I beam and the axles are dual 6,000 pound units w/brakes. I also got the floor, the electrical and the water tanks with it. The plan is to set the slidin on the front, cut off the nose and build it into the orginal upper floor area, and build the back into a deck with a short bobtail.

So far, I have mounted up the slide in and stripped out the back part of the frame. I should end up with a 16 foot flat deck with a 3 foot bobtail. I already have the hitch in the truck now so I can move it (and have) I plan on putting on about a 2 foot solid rail where I will mount lights and 120 volt plugs for when its hooked up in camp. I will alos build a removable top to keep out of the rain. Got some other ideas also.

Anyway, here are a few pics of when I picked it up. I'll post some current ones tomorow as I'm going to go pick up the metal and start welding. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

Attachments

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some current pics....

I think cutting off the nose of the slide in will make a nice large bedroom. It will be 8 foot by 8 foot, the same size as the lower part. I think I might upgrade the camper in a few years to a better one if it works out OK.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Will you have it ready for MOAB? Sounds like a great idea!

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went to an auction last night and bought another camper for this project. Its an old (1973) 10 foot version that is self contained. It beat up but I plan on tearing it all up anyway to fit what I want. The cost was $100. Nobody else wanted it. Dont know why. :mrgreen:

I'll get some pics up soon.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to switch campers tomorow with a forklift and I'll grab some pics then. :thumb:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, got the other one up and on it! This was a real pain in the rear. We used a forklift and that helped a lot. IT was still pretty darn hot the whole time. But its there and I've got the 8.5 foot back in the truck.

I may not have it done for Moab as it would be real tight but I might make it. As of now, I will be hauling the car trailer again with teh 8.5 foot in the back.

I did come accross some used railroad car wood that is very stout. I might be able to bolt it directly to the frame and save on the metal so I can get a third axle.

Some pics...

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

Attachments

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AJ Johnson said:
so, whatcha doing woth the other camper then?
I'm going to be using it a few more times and then I was going to part it out. I need the tin to finish off the other one and some of the vents, the main door and a few other odd and ends.

Mostly I need the tin. Its a good camper but not really worth anything. I think you could go buy one for $500 in that condition. Its not really big enough for kids either. We were already getting cramped with the four of us.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I'm kinda sorta looking for a slide in to use instead of my tow-behind one is why I was asking...nothing serious, just an idea..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts