Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good way, to figure out, the proper size and thickness of cage tubing.

Interior, exterior, weight, size of vehicle, full top, no top, type of wheeling, side roll, end roll, etc...

There are so many factors, so what makes one tubing size and thickness right over the next?

Im always thinking about projects, I want to exo the toy someday, like to match tubing size to the sliders I want to buy, but am unsure of strength.

If properly braced and gusseted, is 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM sufficient for an exo on my 4000lb+ toy?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
scd 40 pvc should do the trick or black abs is one of my favorites, best part is you can get all the fittings and glue in one place. make sure you use the primer before the glue though, otherwise the strength is compromised

·
Registered
379 Posts
NO.. too much weight.. but you MIGHT be close...depending on the mounting configurations.. frame?...how many mounting points? gussets?...it's a ball park figure.. and you know as well as I do that more is better.. you will never be able to predict any result of an upside down event...there is always that 1 situation that could have been avoided...

so overkill your cage and dont worry about it.......a cage is cheep insurance even if you have too much $$$$$$ into it ,considering the alternative...

chevycrew said:

Interior, exterior, weight, size of vehicle, full top, no top, type of wheeling, side roll, end roll, etc...

There are so many factors, so what makes one tubing size and thickness right over the next?

Im always thinking about projects, I want to exo the toy someday, like to match tubing size to the sliders I want to buy, but am unsure of strength.

If properly braced and gusseted, is 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM sufficient for an exo on my 4000lb+ toy?

·
Registered
374 Posts
This is an exo we built around Brens rig last year...

I believe it ended up being about 600lbs of tube in the end. He used a mix of 1 3/4" .120 DOM and HREW. After we took the doors off, cut the top, and lost most of the interior he was still lighter then stock. It has held up well except for the rockers are starting to bend a little. But looking at the design I can see why. I don't know if we will ever finish the front. We just put the expanded metal on so we could wheel it in Moab that year.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
chevycrew said:

That would be overkill. Small diameter pipe is perfect for an exo.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would I lose too much strength if I kept the same size tube, but dropped from DOM to HREW to save in the cost?

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
1 1/4" sch 40 for most of it and 1 1/4" sch 80 for the extremely vitals would be the perfect material for an exo, especially a yota:

http://www.interpipe.com/print_dimensions.htm

This is my personal opinion only, I used HREW for my cage and sliders and fenders, but would have used pipe for the sliders and fenders, if I knew back then what I know now.

The HREW on my sliders is 2" .120 and the fenders are 1.75" .120. Very light material that dents, dings and shows every rock that I hit. Pipe would have been better for that. The cage is 2" .120 HREW as well, which I feel is sufficient for a good roll, but not multiple rolls and not good for a keeping the same cage after a really good, hard roll. It should save my bacon and then need replaced....unfortunately.

·
What next?
3,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gives me something to think about Also, one thing to think about, the exo cage is protecting the cab portion, so double protection for driver there, but the rear seat will only be protected by the cage, the top will be off most the time.

Using tubing vs. pipe will also have to be determined on use of a bender, that has the dies for one or the other. (since I dont have a bender yet)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts