Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Caddy engine I have has a front sump oilpan, and I was talking to a tech guy at Maximum Torque Specialties (Caddy Engine Guys) and he told me that the only reason I'd need the Eldo oil pan is because of the engine crossmember. Rather than paying $300+ for a rear sump oil pan, how hard would it be to just take that crossmember out and fab one right behind the sump? Are there any good reasons not to do this? any constructive input and comments are more than welcome!!!

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
Aj I have seen this done. You can just cut out the flange that mates to the block and build a square rear sump pan. Not to difficult. That is what a lot of racers do.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about that too, but I'm not NEAR that good of a fabricator! :deal:
Something like crossmembers, I could handle pretty good tho..

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Aj its not that hard to fab oil pans as long as you leave enough metal the flange so it does not warp and stitch weld it. :rotfl: :rotfl: DONT BE A WUSSY BOY :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:finger: :finger:
isn't it easier to fab crossmembers tho?
How bout you Steve, could you mod this oil pan?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<------MECHANIC not FABMASTER!!
lol....I dunno... If Steve thinks he can do it, I'll have him do it, otherwise, it's move that crossmember back a few inches.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
any thoughts from you Steve?
It looks like I would have to move the crossmember back about 4" is all to make it work.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I would have to take a look at both options before I could say which is best, modding the oil pan probably wouldn't be that tough though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts