Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i am taking this 383 stroker out of my Blazer :angryfir: I want to build the Ultimate Bullet Proof Motor to put in there (Actualy going to have it built) ANY sugestions Tell me what you would do... i am thinking a 454 or a 502 and also what Transmission will i need...

mostly i mud so i am looking to build somthing that will get me through any mud hole i see. . .

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Big block for sure then.

I saw a huge difference between the built 400 and the stock BB. The BB blew it all away.

I wouldnt go too wild as the motor will live longer. I'm going to cam mine down a bit even.

Whats wrong with the 383?

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
i kinda agree

there is alot of talk about building the perfect this and that!

wow, if i waited until i could afford a sniper i would never go wheelin!

just go with what ya got. but do it enthusiastic-like :thumb:

i hate my vaccum disconnect axle, but i will continue to take my family out even before i get it swapped cuz that's what memories are made of!!

good luck!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am putting the 383 in the camero i just bought, so i am going to put a big block in the blazer... just wanting to get some info on a bullet proof Motor... so i can do some hard ass wheelen and not have to worry. . . the 383 is nice just doesent light up the 38's like i would like it to but it will make the camero SCREAM... i hope!

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
if you were to get rid of the factory truck heads on the 383 it would really light it up Travis... get a 454 and just do a MILD low compression buildup on it for the mud, that way it has pleanty of power, yet it will still be a very durable engine. :thumb:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
What cam does that 383 have? 4:10's are not too bad of a gear for that size in mud.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
ummm... I don't remember the specs on it, but it was basically a 1500 RPM to 5000 RPM cam, good idle, low end torque, etc...
I think the heads are the worst thing on this engine, and it is great in mud, but the HP bug has bitten him pretty hard... whistle whistle

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
4.10 and 38's. You have got to be shitting me. I would try gearing down to 4.88 or 4.56. THe main reason would be to save stress on all your drivetrain. I personally would get a 454 stuffed in there if your looking at BB power. Parts are relatively cheap and avaialable.

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
For mud, 4:10 and 38"s are fine. You want RPM.

I had a successfull mud racing carrer with 3:73's and 36" tires. All the top dogs I saw never ran below a 4:10 gear.

4:88 if you run 44" Boggers.

4:56 if you run 40" Boggers.

4:10 if you run 40" swampers.

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
str8six4me said:
The 383 is nice just doesent light up the 38's like i would like it to but it will make the camero SCREAM... i hope!
Matt this is where my comment is adressed too. Plus Mud is not easy on any part of the drivetrain. I understand why you would want to run a taller gear but all the big dogs are usually running blown and wild motors. they are making up torque in the motor rather than in the axles. If you take the effective gear ratio in an axle that has 38's from a 29-32inch factory tire your looking at a 3.13 to 3.45 effective ratio. I still stay that if you put 4.56 gears or 4.88 you get better low end with out killing your RPM capabilites. Your effective ratios would be as follows for 4.56 and 4.88's with 38's, 3.48 and 3.73. As you can see you still have plenty of potential for high rpms. Alot of mudders now how to build motors, not so many know how to setup gears. my .02 :beer:

·
Going Postal
4,026 Posts
Good Discussion.

The BB will help him out. I know my BB install bumped me up a class and made me much faster.

Then I got out of mud and dont need it anymore. :banghead:

Planet | 4X4 | Forum

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I want to get him to put some 4:56 or 5:13 gears in it, with his overdrive tranny, that would put him in a good ballpark, I think... but those are things that just need to wait for the $$.... There are alot of things I would have built different on this if it had been mine, but I had a budget that wasn't too big, so I gave him as much as I could with the cash he had...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts