Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some fo you know that I am building a buggy out of my bronco. So far progress has been hellaciously slow, but I shall update here on the rare occasion where I actually accomplish something.
Until then heres a couple pictures of whats left of my truck being delivered to ricochets house, and my new tires.
thanks chris for letting me use the trailer and the hookup on the tires, and a big thanks to chuck for letting my project rot in his shop for the next couple months:beer:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
What about MOAB. What are you driving there?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Nothing, just like me.

BTW - assuming the air force doesn't decide to send me to NYC, I'll be riding-with/spotting-for you, and we will probably tow the burb down behind my truck.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be :thumb: for moab, gonna try and snag whatever open seats are available

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Hey Dave, like I posted above, as long as I'm able to go, I'll be taking my truck, so I will have a few open seats. If you want you can ride down with me. I won't know for a couple of weeks if I'm able to go or not though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
to bring this back from the dead, all the basic plans have been made and the welding has started.

this has gotten cut up

into this pile of parts

we welded the lower half of the main cage area to the frame (by we I mean kurt welded everything and I watched)

and mocked up the roof.

we're going to raise the roof up about 6 more inches and go from there, but it'sa start. Thanks kurt and chuck for all the help

·
Registered
539 Posts
Cool, progress is good!

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not enough room in the buggy, and my drivetrain would not have fit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Fourth pic: Seriously Dave, WTF!

You really should have built the buggy instead.

Kind of what I thought, taking a complete buggy chassis and cutting it up to mount on a bronco chassis gives new meaning to the term... RETARDED....

·
Registered
781 Posts
Kind of what I thought, taking a complete buggy chassis and cutting it up to mount on a bronco chassis gives new meaning to the term... RETARDED....

That's what I thought at first also untill I realized that it was hbrk's old chassis and none of his drivetrain was going to work for it. I'm sure Chuck will do a great job of putting it together, but I kinda think you guys will find out that it might have been less work to just start from scratch. Either way I'm sure it will turn out nice, and he won't have to buy all that much tubing. Keep the progress pics coming:thumb:

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
completion date is, I dunno. I'll possibly be bringing the truck home by the ned of the month, but there will be a lot of work to do before it's ready to wheel. Realistically i'm not planning on wheeling it until at least march next year.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm sure Chuck will do a great job of putting it together, but I kinda think you guys will find out that it might have been less work to just start from scratch.
I wouldn't give chuck the credit/blame for how this turns out lol. All he is providing is the place to work on it and the final welding so dave dont kill himself when he rolls it. Chuck and I also recomended he start from scratch in the begining. Good luck dave :beer:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
some more progress. The front of the cage is all tacked together and I roughly placed the rear cage in place.
This is about leveled off with the seats in their approximate position. The front cage has been widened about 12" and it is going to taper to the rear to the origional width of 48"

I am horrible with paint but here is the general idea. The top horizontal loop is removed, and placed below the origional bottom loop, about even with the top of the X. The rear is going to taper in fairly close to the back of the frame.

Another option is to keep the cage about as long as it was, taper it into the frame, and keep everything else about the same.

I know this is opening myself up to abuse but if anybody has any better ideas for setting up the rear cage i'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
It looks way too tall dave. I would lower everything, but especially the back seat about a foot, lower the c pillar about the same and allow the b-c hoop or bars to angle down. Right now it looks like you are building a bluebird.

I will work on some drawings.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts