Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 60s off a 79 f350 on my wifes cherokee .Running 39.5, Now the brakes are little soft. I have to pump them twice to get a solid feel. Anybody swap a 1 ton master on these?:confused:

·
Registered
891 Posts
I just put d44 and 60 in my xj. Stops on a dime, no pumping or any thing. I would trie re-bleeding the system.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have bled and bled it over and over. the stock axles stopped great, so Im a little stumpped on why It feels so soft. thanks though

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Normally when you buy a new master cylinder, there are directions on how to do it.

You cap off all the ports, fill it with brake fluid and "pump it" until no more air bubbles.

Do a google search for "king fu brakes" good info on upgrading to a bigger master cylinder.

Nate

·
Registered
525 Posts
Rember don't push the master to far or it can ruin the master only about 1/4" travel is all you need.
But now that you have it on the jeep you may have to power bleed the system to get all the air out.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Pumping usually means air in the system, that is if they pump up and are fine, if they are soft all the time and don't really pump up you may have a different problem. I have read alot on the discusion about one ton masters and the such. I have one ton axles on a blazer and still using the half ton master and booster, they work well. I had to bleed my brakes about a billion times ( no serious i counted) even after bench bleeding the master. They work well now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did not change the master out just a couple of lines, But it does have better feel after one pump. So I will start bleeding them some more.Makes sense that it could be air. It just seemed strange that I have already dumped about 3 quarts of brake fluid through the lines already. Im learning ! thanks mike

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts