Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

:(I am having trouble with my brakes. I have a 78 fullsize bronco, and I have brakes but very little. I have readjusted the rear brakes, bled them all and have replaced the master cylinder. I adjusted the push rod in the master cylinder and had good brakes for a while, then they started getting to tight to move the vehicle. I readjusted the push rod back and then back some more. Now its back to not having very good brakes, but their not tight and I can move. I need some info of what the problem could be, cuase I am fed up with trying everything I can think of and nothing working.:darn:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
How are the front pads?
Be mt first guess, looks like you have looked at everything but that.

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
I know you said you bled them but you could still have air in the system. when you adjusted your booster rod you may have gotten it too tight applying the brakes all the time but not so much at first but with constant pressure on it may somewhat pump up the brakes making them get tighter. Is it squirting out of the bleeder valves or dribbling. It should be squirting. Also check for any leaks, anywhere in the system. This is just one of the things to check. Also I am assuming you bench bled the master cylinder this could also be a problem. I think you either have air in the system or leaks. All of this advice is contigent on the brakes being otherwise in good working order of course

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know you said you bled them but you could still have air in the system. when you adjusted your booster rod you may have gotten it too tight applying the brakes all the time but not so much at first but with constant pressure on it may somewhat pump up the brakes making them get tighter. Is it squirting out of the bleeder valves or dribbling. It should be squirting. Also check for any leaks, anywhere in the system. This is just one of the things to check. Also I am assuming you bench bled the master cylinder this could also be a problem. I think you either have air in the system or leaks. All of this advice is contigent on the brakes being otherwise in good working order of course

When I bled them they squirt. I know that I don't have air, cause I've bled them more than I wanted to trying to see if that was the problem. I think the problem lies in the booster itself.

Thanks for info, and your possible help:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
proportioning valve possibly? or the brake booster would cause such a thing

Where is the propotioning valve at anyway? I will look at that if you can tell me where to find it:darn::darn:!

I think that it could be the booster.

Thanks for your help:thumb:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts