Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I took my brakes apart on my new 14 bolt this week and while I will be using it as is for a little while a disc brake kit is in my near future. The pads are worn down right now and peliminary measurements say the drums have been turned about 6 times. There was also alot of grease in the brakes. What should I do. Put em back together after cleaning them and leave it alone or clean up the pads with some sandpaper and the same to the drums. Any ideas? :rotfl: :rotfl: By the way the truck this stuff was on stopped alright.

·
Registered
781 Posts
You might want to find out were the oil is coming from, axle seal, wheel cylinder, the oil in there will cause the brakes to lock up and stick if it keeps coming back, and gets too bad :deal:

·
Registered
130 Posts
most likely the hub seal.. I have one leak on my 14 and luckily I caught it within a few days...with a BRAND NEW seal..

my leak wasnt a bad seal.. but rather a slight groove worn into the 14's spindle... I used a speedy sleeve to fix the spindle and no more leak...

they are fairly cheap and ONLY way to fix the groove if you got one...without replacing the rearend or send it to a shop and have the spindle cut off and replaced...

·
Registered
184 Posts
AJ Johnson said:
Hey Kert, ya forgot to put in a plug for your "14 bolt disk brake kit"
lol..
Yeah, not much of a salesman am I. I guess I hate being pushy and taking every good conversation and turning it into a sales pitch.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
lol... ouch, ya got me...
as far as I know, he is planning on getting his soon tho, so, ya never know..

·
Site Supporter
2,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is true Kert I am a pretty brand loyal type of guy. Looks like I will replace all the seals in it the brakes cleaned up better than I thought they would. :rotfl: :rotfl:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts