Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The BLM is holding an input meeting regarding the roadless lands in bonneville county. The meeting is at the court house at 6:30.
As i understand it, the areas in question have roads but are not part of the maintained road system. the meeting is to gather input as to how to manage these areas in the future.

This is in the "west" section of the post register. :deal:

I am asking questions here, as much as anything..........does this affect areas like caribou mtn. where there are roads? I assume it does... If so i want these to be left open...

Is there any other way that this affects me that i don't know about? please educate me on the implications of these things..

The BLM is also accepting comment by calling 208 529 1350 ext. 1360 :thumb: :deal:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Calling them now. LM, I will find out what is up.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
I called them, and basically all I got was meeting time and place and that's it. I'll be going to the meeting.

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yup

yeah, sorry i didn't clarify.....the courthouse is in idaho falls

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I spoke to Dave Radford today regarding the meeting. He told me that we should all support this and our clubs should have written documents signed by all members who support it, with everyones address and phone numbers. He encouraged gps coordinants for trails, and roads. He stressed that all ohv users need to show some support and have good, well defined information. He also said that there is a good chance to get many of the forest service roads re-opened. All of those gates we all run into when hunting, wheeling, exploring. Club officials need to make this a priority in the clubs and have forms for the members. Then individually we can submit also. You can get more info from Dave Radford, 529-1350 ext. 1360. Read the plan before you call so we don't look stupid and uninformed. He appreciates it when people try to understand it themselves. He is happy to clarify anything you don't understand or wonder about. Let's get to work. This is our chance. Clinton did not get any local input when he closed these areas, now we have a chance to be heard. There are 1.9 MILLION acres at stake here.:thumb: :thumb:

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanx scott!!!!

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Definitely sign in at the meeting if you attend. Give them all of your contact info. The BLM has a policy that they notify those in attendance of the last meeting when and where the next meeting is going to be. This is really important. I wish I could make it over there but it is just to far on a week night.

Make sure your GPS coordinates are accurate. They will have maps. If you are really nice to the BLM folks they will usually help you find the trails/roads on the map and tell you that they didn't have them marked or that they were aware of them and what the status of that trail/road is. The more trails you can ask for the better. Once an area has been designated it is hard to go back and get changes made.

Good Luck! Keep us posted! And I'll write to them for you.

Eric V.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
remember this meeting everyone!!!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Btt

·
Registered
385 Posts
BTT. Just a reminder.

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
try to be early to sign in and get a seat!

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
The meeting went pretty well. There were 7 members of SRO there. Many members of the Idaho Trail Association. Motorcycle/snowmobile guys. There were some folks against changing the plan but it went pretty well. We all need to fill out the form at the following url.
http://www.idahocounty.org/idaho/pdf/ROADLESS_AREAS_form.pdf

You need to insert Caribou and Targhee national forests in there for this side of the state.

Written comment is very vital to this process. That is what will be sent to the Governer's office. EVERYONE on this board should send in one of these forms. It is easy and will go a long way.

Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts