Off Road Forums On Planet4x4 banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to those waiting for this report all week. Chris’s computer is homeless (just like he is) and mine just plain decided to quit Monday.
There will be pictures soon. Seems as if all the digital camera owners either forgot to bring them or charge them. Going the old fashioned rout with my $5 camera and Wally World’s digital processing.

We started out at the Pilot station with 8 rigs. 3 Broncos, Bills flat fender, an S10 Blazer, and my Cruiser. We also had a couple of new rigs come out and play with us. A Taco and a Rubicon. We hit the road around 8:30 for the trip to big Smokey. For being such a long round trip, it sure was a lot of fun. I don’t know if it’s just me, but that 80 mile trek through the mountain Highways and gravel roads to our starting point was way more pleasant than the shorter trips to the canyon (or maybe it was just a nice change).

Once off the “maintained” road, the fun began. It was more or less just a fun, mild wheeling trip. A dirt road with a few tight squeezes through the trees and some creek crossings. We did get to play in a large section of the creek for a while. Water level ranged for 1 to 2 feet deep for the most part with a few holes reaching over 3 foot deep. It was like a blind mild rock crawl. The big ones kind of sneak up on you (or vise versa).

Broke for lunch at the first cabin we came across. Took a nice long break and did the traditional WWOR burger burn. Alicia cooked the burgers like a pro. And Chris said she doesn’t cook. Looks like all those lost trail run burger burns paid off.

It was around 3:00 when we reached the cabins at the end of the trail. Rob told us all stories about how he used to stay in the cabins in the good old days. I’m not sure, but I think they were toned down since his mom was with us.

The trip out was much like the trip in. Just in reverse. We did play in another part of the creek with a few of us taking the steep entrance into the creek and the crazy flat fender doing a little side hilling (Bills lady friend will think twice before going through that again).

The group split up on the way out but met back up in Fairfield to say our “laters” and hit the road.

There wasn’t any real carnage on this trip. Just a couple of Broncos with coolant issues. One foamin at the cap on the way in and one takin a leak at trails end. Oh yeh, almost forgot the little Blazer that could. It seamed to have a mind of it’s own once we hit the blacktop. Back at Chris’s shop, we found the sway bar mounts broke (do to a poor install) and ball joints trashed.

All in all a very enjoyable run. One stockers could run without a problem.

:thumb::thumb: Thanks Rob for showing us the other side of the interstate.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Topo Map of run

Attachments

·
Wrench Wench
6,190 Posts

·
DinoWagonMan!
2,732 Posts
blast

sounds like a blast!!!

nothin , but Nothing, beats a drive in the hills on a nice fall day in Idaho!! :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's some Pics, $5 camera & wally World quality:

RWD--Time to lock em in

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More Pics:

·